Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main sheet and boom vang

Started by rogerschwake, October 03, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Ahoy Tom
  Have been using the two speed main sheet this summer and am real happy with it. I do a lot of tacking and jibbing on the small lakes here in Iowa and the two speed main and boom vang make this much easier. Taking the original main sheet and using it for a vang may be a little over kill, but no problems with the setup. The Gauerhauer two speed vang 25-2 SP, they call it a vang, makes a great main sheet on the Sun Cat. This is the smallest two speed they offer and it is a good fit on my boat. I ordered 60' of 7/16'' line but would go with 1/2'' next time, the 7/16'' works but 1/2'' would be better. It does add to the spaghetti in the cockpit but single handing its has not been a problem. When pointing up wind the 6:1 works great for small adjustments and to jib the 3:1 is faster with little problem tangled lines. I've been real happy with this set up and would think anyone with mid boom sheeting and was thinking of add a vang would go with this set up.

ROGER

Tom L.

Roger, that's great information and just what I was hopping to hear. I think I will not add the boom vang, I agree and I want to keep this boat as simple as is possible and still sail well.

Why do you want to make the sheet 1/2" vs 7/16? I was thinking that much 1/2" line when running under light wind conditions would pull the boom due to the sheets weight.

Thanks Again
Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rogerschwake

Tom I think the 1/2" sheet would give you a better grip when sheeting in the main, you could go down to 3/8" if you would like but 1/2" to my eye seams like the best choice. The extra sheet in the cockpit hasn't caused any problem for me at all. When sailing single handed there is lots of room in the cockpit and with crew it gives them something to do. If you go to the 2 speed main sheet you will have the old main sheet left over that makes a great boom vang. Just buy a couple brackets and you have it, makes jibbing in heaver wind much easier, no boom flying up and slamming over.