a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Joining the Compac 19 fleet

Started by cal27sailor, June 17, 2015, 08:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cal27sailor

Greetings from NW Arkansas.  Hoping to officially join your fleet in the next week.  As a long time owner of a Cal 27 and now an Islander 28, I am ready to downsize, enjoy more time on the water and sail often.  I have looked at a number of mini cruisers and have decided to purchase a Compac 19, zeroing in on a very well maintained 1984 model.  The Admiral and I will be traveling across several states early next week to see the boat in person and, if all is as expected, be bringing her home to Arkansas.  As many sailors I assumed that bigger was always better and was always looking for a longer, faster, and better equipped boat.  Never considered the difficulty of sailing the larger boats, the cost of maintaining a larger boat, how I would single hand a bigger boat, etc.  Also never thought about how many more deck leaks you can get in a bigger boat with lots more hardware mounted in a plywood cored deck!  I have finally seen the light!  Now I will admit that I do not plan on selling my Islander 28 just yet but I am really expecting the CP19 to open up many new local sailing waters for me, add many other vacation spots for us and just keep me on the water a lot more. I expect my days of owning a larger boat are numbers!  I live In a community with four lakes suitable for trailer sailing all within 15 minutes of my house and a very large Corps lake about 30 minutes east.  I can't wait!  And did I mention that we are going to Wisconsin's Door County in August where I hope to sail on Sturgeon Bay and Lake Michigan!  Anyway...just wanted to say hello, let you know that I am lurking out here reading all of your posts and the archives of information and hope to be very active in the group very soon.  I will post pictures when we ultimately find our new baby!

Tony Rodriguez
Bella Vista, AR
Tony
"Rita Marlene", 1984 Com-Pac 19
Tsa-La-Gi Yacht Club, Okay, OK

crazycarl

welcome tony!

bella vista, arkansas?

i'm guessing one of the lakes is loch lamond and the corp lake is beaver?

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

cal27sailor

Carl...right you are!  Are you from the area?  Lots of great sailing areas around here.  My Islander is up on Grand Lake in Oklahoma, about an hour from my home.  Looking forward to lots of gunk holing in places where my current 5 1/2 foot draft will not let me near.

Tony
Tony

crazycarl

tony,

i'm in northern illinois.  my wife's father lives in bella vista. 

i've trailered my fishing boat to beaver on one trip, and rented a pontoon on loch lamond on another.

nice area.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

cal27sailor

Carl...next time you are in town maybe we can take out my soon to be mine CP19!

Tony
Tony

Billy

I grew up in Eureka Springs and then moved to Fayetteville in High School then went to college there.

Beaver Lake is a great lake.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

cal27sailor

Lots of Arkansas roots in this group!
Tony

Salty19

Hi Tony,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  Hope your CP19 plans come to fruition.  They are GREAT small boats!

Be sure to post some pics of your new boat!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cal27sailor

Well after driving 950 miles to Vienna, OH I am officially the owner of a great 1984 Compac 19, hull #231.  She is in excellent condition....no cracks anywhere, no visible leaks of any kind, her gel coat is in excellent shape with never a drop of paint being applied!  She has new upholstery in the cabin, a CDI furler with a 135 Ginny, good rigging and a good Mercury 4.5 outboard.  Original trailer is in good shape with new heavy load tires just added and new lights and wiring.  Only thing she needs is some bottom paint.  Bottom is In great shape with very little additional prep needed.  I could not be happier with my purchase and look forward to getting her home.  But first my wife, the two Labradors and I are going to take a few days to enjoy the Lake Erie area between Toledo and Cleveland.  I hear wine and beer calling!  I'll post photos when I get her home.

Tony
1984 Compac 19 "Rita Marlene"
1978 Islander 28 "Endless Summer"
Tony

kickingbug1

mike i dont know what youre thinking but im thinking that tony could and should make the clr
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

cal27sailor

Like the idea of CLR but will have to pass this year.  We have already scheduled a vacation in early August. But we will plan on 2016!
Tony

kickingbug1

hey, hope you can make it in 2016-----we are always on the hunt for new "victims"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

cal27sailor

Uh oh!  I better mount the water cannon!
Tony

kickingbug1

who was it had the boat hook cannon last year----was that bob23?

cal27sailor

Boat hook cannon?  You folks are serious!  Ouch!!!!!
Tony