a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 25 Trailer?

Started by legends117, June 25, 2015, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legends117

Hello all - I am new to the board, and currently investigating the purchase of a Com-Pac 25.  The boat is currently in the water and has no trailer.  Does anyone have any suggestions on locating a trailer for this boat? I plan to keep the boat in dry storage at the marina and need a trailer.   Thanks - JD 
PS - I am in the Florida panhandle.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

moonlight

Back in the day ... (I used to own TWO 2000 CP25's, at the same time!)
I had one trailer, two boats.
now just one boat, no trailer, but I have a CP23 trailer at my disposal if I need it.

They used to use Performance Trailers, but they're gone, kaput, sunk in 2008.
I'd call Rich or Gerry and ask what they could dig up spec wise.
I know it was galvanized steel.  Dual axle.  w/ drum brakes.

Knowing what I know now, I'd spring for disc brakes, torsion axles.
Keep the adjustable bunks; she'll actually stand on her keel and you can drop bunks intermittently for bottom work, if necessary.

legends117

Thanks for the quick response.   I spoke to Gerry this afternoon and he was going to contact the trailer manufacturer for a quote.   I will certainly entertain the purchase of a new one, but a used one in good condition is more in line with my budget.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

Tom L.

Get all the information that you can from the manufacturer's quote. If you are looking for a used trailer it's unlikely that you will find one available fitted for that boat. But there are tons of used trailers sitting around available. Check local dealers for new and used, Craig's list and eBay. If you find a suitable base trailer these guys can provide parts  http://www.easternmarine.com/ and a local dealer can help you modify an existing trailer if you find one in good condition. Look only for galvanized trailers. You will need to repack bearings/seals and service the brakes. Lots to do for a used trailer. Hutchins new may be the best option unless you are real handy with steel fabrication or just get Lucky and find a 25 trailer. Hint when searchin Craig's list use  searchtempest.com to look as far out from your zip code as you want.

The 25 is a handfull to trail. 5000# for the boat at least 2500# for the trailer and gear. You will likely need a 3/4 ton truck if you intend to make long hauls.

Good luck

http://www.easternmarine.com/
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

skip1930

Funny Story

Coming back from a job in Mount Sterling, KY to Delta, Ohio we traveled in a one ton Chevy diesel pick-up with a 5th wheel six horse trailer hooked in the bed and filled with tools plus my 16 foot double axle also filled with more tools and welders being towed on a ball hitch bolted on the back of the 5th wheel horse trailer, and Boy we were HEAVY ! Yea, it's legal.

Had a hard time maintaining 43 ~ 47 mph without dropping down into passing gear on the automatic.

Anyway somewhere on the Indiana Toll Road a State Trooper crept up slowly from the back giving the rig the evil eye ... when the his cruiser evened up to me behind the wheel he just shook his head, smiled. Then he speed away.

We made port later that night.

skip.