a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP27 lazarettes/engine room

Started by KeithV, June 14, 2015, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithV

I took delivery of my new-to-me 1997 CP 27 a month ago. I am very impressed at how the boat is built and how it sails, especially in big winds (15-25kts no problem). As you other owners know, the lazarettes are huge, roomy, deep and offer the best engine access that l have ever had on a boat. The drawback, however, is that they are so deep that it makes it tough to retrieve mooring lines, a mop and bucket, and the usual "stuff" that is stored under the cockpit seats. Has anyone reconfigured that space to make it more functional day to day, yet still have access to the engine when needed? If so, please share your ideas and pictures if possible. Thanks!

relamb

Improvements are in the works for mine, but until then....
I tied a thin line to every fender, bucket bail, and everything else that goes down in there.  The ends all lead up to the top, where I can grab the line for whichever thing I need and pull it up.   They can get tangled up, but it works until I come up with plan B.  I have small things like cleaning supplies in 5 gallon buckets and milk crates.  I can pull them up and out with the line.  A boat hook works to lift out a 5 gallon bucket.

Another thing is a "grabber" tool I got from harbor freight.  I can pick up mooring lines and the ends of the other lines I have tied onto things, when I inevitably drop them down in there. 
http://www.harborfreight.com/36-in-pickup-and-reach-tool-61413.html
It's not the sturdiest thing for picking up anything heavy, but at least I can fetch a sponge or something dropped down in there as well.
For $2, what the heck, get a few.

Better storage organization is in the works, just not at the top of the priority list yet.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tney88

When I first got Paradiso I had plans to build some custom shelves and such in the lazarettes, but after the first time I had to climb down in there to work on a leaking hose, I saw the downside to that plan.  What I have gotten is some plastic storage crates the are tall enough to be grabbed and lifted out, this lets me categorize the stuff by crate, and just lift them all out when I need to "go below" to work on the engine or plumbing or whatever.

Terry Ney
CP-27 "Paradiso"  __/)  __/)
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

wes

I'm the envy of the boatyard when other sailors see those huge bilges on the 27. You could sleep a family of four down there. But agree it's a long reach down, and having loose stuff fall in the engine or prop shaft is a scary idea. My long term vision is to glass a long strip of wood maybe 3" or 4" wide along the inside of the hull near the top of the bilge area, to provide attachment for hanging hooks. This is WAY down the priority list, at least as long as I still have a day job.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Awfeith

I have the factory installed shelves at the top, and use 5 gallon pails to store items. Port side I keep my inflatable and motor aft. Down side sometimes I have to take several things out to get what I want. Small price to pay for such great access.

deisher6

Hey KeithV:
Interesting topic.  I am still at the point where I need access often so it is sails in bags on the starboard side and stuff in tall rubber maid like containers on the port side.  I did make a rack in the port side locker to slide the companionway boards into for storage.  It is attached to the plywood divider and doesn't impair removing the divider.  I recall in our first '27 I cut out some 1/2 inch plywood and blocked it up to make the bottom of the locker (on the port side) level and easier to store milk cases etc.

I would like to see pictures of the factory shelving.  Does it impair big guys from crawling around the engine/drivetrain?

regards charlie

KeithV

Thanks for the great ideas. I bought 2 gear hammocks and will mount them under the cockpit seats to hold mooring lines, etc. I'll let you know how/if they work.