a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Teflon tape for sliding hatch

Started by rbh1515, June 13, 2015, 04:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Someone recently brought up the issue of their hatch sliding poorly on the Horizon Cat section.  My last boat, a Catalina 28 had teflon tape to help the hatch slide, so I bought some from Catalina Direct for my new Horizon Day Cat, since the hatch just slides gel coat to gel coat.  It will eventially wear out the gel coat.
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1312
Installed it today.  I didn't take the hatch off...just installed a piece in front and a piece in the back, with about a 2" gap in between that I could not reach.  Works great!!
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Bob23

Cool! I used felt pads- the ones used for furniture on hardwood floors. Of course I had to remove the hatch but that's pretty easy and gives me a chance to clean under there.
Bob23

deisher6

For what it is worth you can purchase teflon tape from woodworkers stores.  I recently used some for the drawers in a chest of drawers that I made for a daughter.  Slick stuff.
regards charlie

Shawn

Another option is a stainless steel plate on top of the hatch rails. That is what my Sabre has and it makes the hatch very smooth.

Shawn