a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

80's CP27 brown stripe touchup

Started by relamb, June 10, 2015, 08:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relamb

There were a few scratches in the brown stripes on my CP27 which bothered me, but no time to really do anything about them.
When I buffed and waxed the boat last summer, just for the heck of it I took a $6 can of "brown" rustoleum from Lowes and touched up the scratched areas.
After it dried, I wet sanded, buffed and waxed.  Now it's impossible for me to tell where I did this, it was a perfect match.
I suspected that the paint, not being a marine paint, might weather and fade differently.  It's been about 9 months and so far I still can't tell.  I suspect maybe a good wax job protects it.
...so I'm going to do a few more spots the same way.
May not last forever, but sure looks good for now.  I also removed those wide gold tape stripes, and think it looks a lot better without them.

PS - my neighbor is in the vinyl sign/wrap business.  In fact, he did the wraps on 10 of this years Indy 500 race cars.  He said he could easily make a vinyl stripe of any color I wanted, to apply over the brown one.  He claims the material is definitely good enough now to hold up in the marine environment.
If I get another boat and want to change the color scheme, I'll try that.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

SouthernNomad

Thank you for your response. I may do the same thing depending on how the hull and boot stripe looks after a wet sand buff and wax.

deisher6

Hey Relamb:
Good scoop, thanks.
regards charlie

CurtTampa

Good advice. I've been contemplating redoing the brown stripe. Not a fan of the brown. I kind of envision a dark green sheer and boot.  Was wondering if anyone had painting advice ie: prep, paint and method.
Just finished wet sanding and buffing entire hull. Recommend starting off by hand and using 3M compounds. It looks brand new. Amazing how much shine was restored. Lot of effort but worth it. Topsides are next.

wes

Just a comment from a sailor who has tackled the dreaded brown stripes on a 1988 CP19 and a 1988 CP27 - on boats of this vintage, the original factory boot stripe is painted on and therefore pretty easy to remove and replace, but the sheer stripe is molded into the gelcoat. You cannot sand it off or strip it. You can cover it up with new stripe of similar width, or you can sand and paint the entire hull.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

relamb

My CP23 was changed from the brown stripe to Navy Blue, along with matching canvas, and I thought it looked great.  A previous owner just painted over the old stripe.  He used Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint http://smile.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-207002-Marine-Topside-1-Quart/dp/B0019K5XH0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434551899&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=sherwin+williams+marine+topside+enamel
This was applied with a brush.  You could see the brush marks if you were close, say a foot or two away, but otherwise not.
It had been on many years, and was scratched and gouged in a few places, so I sanded and reapplied in spots.  It didn't match exactly because the old paint had faded, so it was pretty noticeable in the sun.   I ended up repainting the entire stripe all around.  The edge was trimmed with 3/16" black vinyl pinstripe which I removed.  Then I wet sanded the old paint to provide a rough surface and get rid of the brush marks in the old paint.
I masked it off and repainted with a foam brush, which did not leave brush marks.  Finally, I re-trimmed the edge of the stripe with new black pinstripe tape from West Marine.  1 quart of paint was enough for the whole thing with plenty left over.
Some info and pics in this old post http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=7743.msg56974#msg56974
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN