News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

MPPT solar charge controller.....EXELLENT!!

Started by frank, January 20, 2016, 07:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

This is not "new news"....but I'm simply totally impressed!

I just replaced my old style controller with a Blue Sky 2000E

I had actually ordered new batteries, but woke up this morning to 12.46V running refridge all night and no sun since 4:40 yesterday afternoon.

You get over 20% more charge from the same sunlight and they also have a "bettery equalization" mode.... a controlled overcharge to 15.2V for between 1 and 2 hours.  It cleans the plates. I did this yestersay for 1.5 hours and have to say.....looking like new batteries are not needed.

Money well spent!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

HeaveToo

Blue Sky charge controllers are one of the best ones for larger solar setups.  MPPT is so much more efficient.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solar_controller_testing

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/solar_panel

I have a genasun GV-10 which is a MPPT Charge controller that is designed for smaller solar panels.  Smaller meaning up to 125 watts.  I have 100 watts aboard now.  These things work great and give a lot of juice.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

frank

Mine was $290 Canadian so a LOT less USA$$

Its a 25amp unit as I've got a 230 watt panel
Good ones for 100 watt set ups start around $65

Too funny...I was going to post that same link from Mainecruising.  Exellent read!!! (Heave to's post below)

DO NOT BUY ON EBAY!!!!       (say's he who wrote the article)

I do know that I figured my batteries were done. Simply wouldn't carry a charge over night with the Engel on.
Yesterday, after installing it and "equalizing" the batteries....on a partially sunny day, with sunset about 4:40 (trees)
AND loading the icebox with warm cans, food etc....this morning it showed 12.46 BEFORE sun rise!!!

Totally impressed at the turnaround!!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men