Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Future CP 27/2 Owner with a some CP 27 Q's

Started by SouthernNomad, June 15, 2014, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobp

Quote from: SouthernNomad on June 15, 2014, 07:07:18 PM
Hello Com-Pac 27 owners! I was wondering if I could pick your brain on a few topics.

I have placed a down payment  with plan of purchasing after survey and sea trial on a 1989 Com-Pac 27/2 in Cape Coral, Fl. Here is the listing...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2667277&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=kelleyacht&&ywo=kelleyacht&

1. She has been well taken care of through her years and I presently know she is in need of some new antifouling paint and a new main sail. The universal inboard has ~1000 hours on it and has been professionally maintained. All components are presently in working order, but I was wondering what things have come up in when a boat hits this age that need servicing? Perhaps the gears within the wheel steering need to be greased or some electrical components should be upgraded. I am having her surveyed next weekend and I wanted to know of any inherent problems I should look for. After my first visual inspection I didn't find anything unexpected on a 25 year old boat. I have read about some rudder delamination issues on antiquated 27's but not much else. 

2. Where exactly under the cabin sole does the bilge begin and where does it end? I know of the access in from of the companionway steps but I didn't exactly stick my head in there.

3. What is the ballast material?

4. Does the shower drain into the bilge or does it drain overboard?

5. Has anyone converted form alcohol to propane?

Thank you for your time and attention.

All good things to look at but another you may want to check is the rudder bearing and cutlass bearing as I've had to replace both on my 1990 c27.

bobp

Hey Good luck with your new boat. One thing that no one mentioned so far and I've had to replace is cutlass bearing and rudder bearing. My C27 is a 1990 and I replaced both this year.

BobP

BobK

bobp
What is involved in replacing your rudder bearing?
BobK

wes

I've pulled my rudder and didn't notice a bearing- just the stainless shaft inside a close fitting stainless tube. Are we referring to the Delrin bushing between the steering quadrant and the top of the tube?

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

BobK

Wes,
I am not sure.  I am getting some vibration in the wheel at higher speeds and figure there is some play along the rudder shaft - worn bearing I am assuming.  The cable from the wheel to the rudder is tight.
BobK