a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 19 Marine Head

Started by atrometer, May 11, 2015, 03:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

I know some have installed a true marine head on CP 23s, but does anyone know of anyone doing that on a CP19?

comfortably numb

I purchased a portable toilet from West named Cruiser 976 that comes with an adapter that allows it to be connected to a deck fitting via hose ( either not furnished ) so claims the Mfgr. I see that it is still listed. Although I did not elect to hard pipe mine, it is something I may hook up in the future. As for the head itself, it fits the space intended for a porta-pot in the 19 with about an inch in height to spare. It is very well designed , well made and the tank separates for easy of disposal. I traced the Mfgr. by searching on line, whose name I forget, but I think that it was a bit cheaper from Amazon, but I wanted the ability to be able to return it ( unused of course ) at the local store if it didn't fit. Might be an option to consider . I see that this fitting is an extra 20 bucks now. I did not buy the optional hold down brackets for $34, figured I could come up with something myself. ( bungee retainer cord ) This is a nice unit and works well.

comfortably numb

P.S. Since one has to slide the unit out to use it, the hose would either have to be disconnected or coiled, perhaps not that practical or tidy.

mayrel

You might consider this as an alternative.  We have used on several boats a very simple, inexpensive, clean and handy portable head.  You need a 3 or 5 gallon bucket(height from floor may be a consideration for storage and use), a comfortable toilet seat sold at West marine which fits perfectly to the bucket, some dry chemical disposable bags and a lid for the bucket.  This system is easy to use, no fear of spillage with the lid attached firmly, you dispose of the bag at any trash receptacle as it's biodegradable. Many use simple trash bags with kitty litter which also works well.  Any chemical/liquid portable toilet is heavy, can leak and if you drop it, it will break. I don't need to explain the damage this can do to your boat and you! Plumbing a marine head is expensive and now we have a thru hull to contend with.  Many marinas have pump out stations, but they are frequently out of service(they meet the legal requirement of having one, but who's checking to see if they're operable?).  Having to carry your portable holding tank to the toilet to dump may be frowned on too.  Again the risk of dropping it is far too great for us to even consider.  Another advantage to our bucket system, you can use it anywhere you like.  We have a CP19 which we love, and we like the clean smell of our cabin.  Plumbing a head is going to be costly and a lot of work. Keeping it clean will be another issue.  i think many of us who own small sailboats keep our boats as simple as possible, yet functional.  After all, we're basically camping on the water.  If we have a reasonably comfortable berth, a dry cool or warm cabin, a place to prepare simple meals/coffee/tea and enough room for storage to camp/cruise for a few days/nights at a time, it's wonderful.  Cruising the ICW in our area(northwest Florida gulf coast)is most enjoyable with plenty of places to stop for fuel, water, ice and get rid of our trash legally and effortlessly.  We can go for a few nights on the hook, then tie up to a marina for supplies, a real shower, do some laundry, recharge our battery and off we go the next day.  With our shallow draft we don't need a dinghy, we can almost always get close enough in to walk to shore.  Hope this helps....fair winds...J&J