a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom kicker on HDC

Started by rbh1515, June 03, 2015, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Just installed it today.  Took a little longer than I thought...had to lower mast, and take off mast hinge to slide the mast fitting on.  After that it was easy.  Just raise sail, figure out where to install fitting for boom (drill 3 holes, and tap them) and then install.
Rob

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Craig

Looks great Rob! Nice job! We love ours. Makes life sooo much easier.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

I went for our first sail without the boomkicker, and I can tell it will be a lot nicer with it.  Unfortunately no wind to sail today.  I was concerned about it clearing the cowl vent, and it doesn't even come close.  Also, whenever I need to drop the mast, I can just disconnect the boomkicker from the boom and lay it on the deck, and it still doesn't touch the cowl vent.
Rob

Craig

All the above is why we mounted the BK a little higher on the mast than the typical installation. It has been posted here that if you add another section of track to the aft end of existing track that you don't have to disconnect the boom fitting when lowering the mast. We don't trailer that much so I haven't gone that route yet. Keep us posted!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

My boat will be in the water for half of the year, and I should have to lower the mast for a while.  It's so easy to disconnect from the boom, I don't see any reason to add additional track.
Rob