a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Greying gracefully...

Started by Joseph, May 25, 2015, 12:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

"Sassy Gaffer" teak has been greying gracefully... and I am happy to report that she is still in good shape and ready for another season. She can be seen in her slip at Nepean in Google maps (on satellite mode, look for "Dick Bell Park, Nepean" and count 16 slips from the left on the bottom dock). Last week, as I re-rigged her sail, I replaced all the plastic shackles at the luff (one had broken and two more had cracks) and added one that had been left out to free the luff grommet that doubled as the tack for the 2nd reef. I also replaced the original quick-release pin holding the tack to the gooseneck with a Clevis pin secured with a ring, which I think looks more secure. Everything else looks in good shape. The trailer has had new bearings and tires since last year (after some 10K Km of road time with the boat). Last season I had some trouble at keeping the 4 HP Tohatsu running at idle; the problem seems to have been the fuel, so the carburetor got a thorough clean-up and is now enjoying fresh Shell V-power gas with Sea-Foam additive. The plans for this season include a return to the rocky East shores of Georgian Bay, likely a cruise on Lake Temiscaming and some re-exploring of the anchorages on the Ottawa River from the Deschênes Rapids to Chat Falls while playing Ham radio "portable afloat" (on a river it can hardly be "marine mobile"...). With some luck her position will be broadcasted in Winlink and/or APRS.

Wishing all a safe and enjoyable sailing season.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

FireDrill

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like a great summer plan!  I've enjoyed cruising the Georgean Bay twice but in slightly larger (19 & 21 foot and crewed)  boats than my SunCat- one of my favorite places is northern side of Beausoleil Island, especially Frying Pan Bay and nearby northern bays and islands. For those that are not familiar,  the area is called the 30,000 islands and is really a great cruising ground. as some of our Ontario based readers know!.      I am jealous - wish I liked driving such distances solo- I'd go back in a heartbeat and the SunCat would be great.  Will try to check out Sassy Gaffer on Google Earth/Maps -satellite mode - what is Dick Bell Park, Napean near? Southern Ontario near L Huron or Erie or Toronto? any highways? (I am old fashioned and  usually just zoom around on Google Earth without using a search engine looking for landmarks and highways)

Enjoy your sailing trips and wishing you fair weather.
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

FireDrill

OK- I found Sassy Gaffer using the search engine on Google Maps (not Google Earth directly). Learned something new - Thanks... Amazing!  Nice location in the marina! Very protected !
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

Joseph

Yes, I like to keep Sassy nearby (I live in Ottawa), and the Nepean Sailing Club on Lac Deschênes (a broadening of the Ottawa River west of Ottawa) has a beautiful marina with floating docks, a good ramp, two large cranes and a very nice clubhouse. A favourite daysail of mine is on a late afternoon to hop  to Aylmer (some 3 miles across the river, on the Quebec side), have dinner at the restaurant there and then a sail back to Nepean... in the moonlight.

Since I got Sassy (in 2010 I've been also trailering her to Georgian Bay at least once every season. There, I have sailed both on the West and East coasts but I prefer the coves between Bing Inlet and Henvey Inlet. The shores are mostly granite rock polished by the glaciers, few motor boaters venture there and the SunCat low draft is perfect for the area. Some of the coves are "picture perfect" and some of these sites have in fact been inspirational for paintings by Tom Thomson and "The Group of Seven".

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365