a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Towing a dinghy

Started by Tom L., June 24, 2015, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

I have been looking at a Intex Mariner 3 or 4. Very inexpensive compared to the Achilles LT-2 &4 boats. Any one have experience with the Intex inflatables??

Reasearching the web has a lot of info for this boat. Small lake fishermen modify the boat, for fishing, with plywood floors, seats and all sorts of modifications. The boat comes with a slat floor which would probably be OK for our type of use. Just thinkin.

I have always had inflatables for a tender because they are so stable and they won't scratch the boat after all it is just one big inflated fender. Many years ago I built a pram, stitch and glue. It was Ok for a young couple, we were in our 20's. But now in my late 60's I need something more stable. I never tried towing one in a small pocket cruiser like our Sun Cat 17. The Intex is so light and it does not have a wood transom so it can roll up very small and I think reside on the cabin top. Towing might still be an option for a short duration. I use to pull the bow of the inflatable up onto the transom of the big boat. Just the back of the inflatable was in the water.

Back to my question anybody have experience with the Intex Mariner 3 or 4.??
Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

HeaveToo

I have a ton of miles towing a dingy.  I tow an 8 foot fiberglass dingy.

I know that the inflatable boats are a lot more drag than a fiberglass dingy.  A used fiberglass dingy can be much cheaper and it will last a lot longer too.

Here are some tricks:

use large floating rope and keep a good length.  In following seas sometimes it is necessary to tow the dingy farther back.
Tie a small bumper to the front of the dingy.  If it rides up and hits the transom it isn't a big deal.
Make sure that you have an okay rub rail on the dingy.
I use the stern ladder to get in and out of the dingy.  The dingy doesn't rub against the hull this way.
If it is really rough and you worry about the dingy surfing, turning sideways, and flipping you can put a little water in the floor of the dingy.  You can also tow a long rope with knots tied in it for drag and attach it to the rear of the dingy.  This will keep the transom to the waves and slow the surfing down.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm199/HeaveToo/May%202015%20Cruise/Saga%20Surfing_zpsboxwvpiy.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm199/HeaveToo/May%202015%20Cruise/Saga%20Spinnaker%201_zps2kbyncps.jpg
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Tom L.

I hear what you are saying but our sailing grounds and how we sail has changed. We lived and cruised aboard our Catalina 380 for 5 years always at anchor. We had a conventional inflatable then went with a Carib hard bottom inflatable. By far the best for cruising. For open water we hauled it up with davits but towed it for thousands of miles. It was our station wagon/pickup truck.  Did Laundry, grocery shopping, Dr. visits, you name it it took us there.

But now we are living a retirement life while sailing for three day trips within a few hours trailering distance from our central Florida home in our new for us Sun Cat. We want and need the stability and ease of handling that an inflatable gives us. We trail to our destinations now which means the last thing I want to do is deal with a rigid dinghy and where to store it for trailering not to mention the unstable aspects of a rigid dink. Often we don't need a dink because we beach the boat in well protected anchorages. I know how to tow an inflatable with minimal drag and the Mariner 3 only weighs 37#, easy to handle for old people.

I really wanted to know if any of our members have ever used or even seen a Mariner 3 or 4 inflatable. They look like a lot of bang for the buck.

There is a reason most cruisers use inflatables. They are very kind to your boat and you. Easy to board and very stable. Well made inflatables are very durable check out the new Coast Guard inflatables. The plastic pool toys not so much, I think that is what a lot of people think an inflatable dink is.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Jon898

Agree with the idea of an inflatable over a hard dinghy for a small boat.  Also towing with the bow out of the water (although our transom hung rudders could be an issue).

Regarding the Mariner 3, I'm not sure where the 37lbs number comes from as Intex's site shows 70lbs for the complete package http://www.intexcorp.com/68373ep.html .  Also, I'd be cautious about the material as it appears to be PVC and may not be very durable (hypalon is expensive but seems to last for ever).  As I'm sure you know, inflatables can be very frustrating to row, but at least the Mariner appears to have an inflatable keel which could help.  The motor mount is only rated for 2hp, which these days really only puts you in trolling motor territory.

Tom L.

Jon, I stand corrected. I don't know how I got 37# maybe transposed the number. You are right about the PVC construction. I had an earlier Achilles that was PVC and after a few years in the sun it had big issues with blisters. For long term exposure Hypalon is the answer. You can still by PVC and Hypalon inflatables, check the WM web site.

This boat is fabricated using multiple layers with fabric in between which is how all good inflatables are made. It doesn't seem like the pool toy variety. I don't know where I can get my hands on one to evaluate but was hoping for some members direct experience. I am sure it is not as durable as the standard inflatables (not the pool toy variety) but it is 1/4 of the price.

I totally agree with the rowing issues. I don't intend to use a motor, too much junk to store on our small boat. But because our Sun Cat can float in such shallow water I intend to get very close to the beach or dinghy dock to anchor the Sun Cat and have a very short row.

I won't be leaving this boat out in the weather 24/7 as we did in the past. Now we are trailer sailors and will store it in it's bag most of the time.

Thanks for the info

Tom L.

relamb

I'd vote for hypalon, they will last a long time if taken care of and kept out of the sun.  I have a 1999 Apex that I bought new and it has a roll up interlocking floor and 10hp motor.  A little too heavy to haul up on deck (100 lbs), so I bought a used 1988 Avon Redcrest for $400.  it weighs only 43 lbs, and rows very well. Can take a 4hp motor.
Looks like a similar size to what you're wanting.
A floor was an option, but did not come with the boat. So I just made another one from plywood myself.

My 1999 had a half dozen holes and leaks from catfish spines, a stingray, and fish hooks, but after having it professionally repaired it's as good as new.  The 1988 Avon is in just as good shape, if not better.

You might check around and find a good used hypalon boat for the same price as a new PVC.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tom L.

Thanks Rick, the Redcrest is what I have been looking for but they are few and far between. Also the Achilles LT-2 falls in that category. New is out of the question. I will keep looking. Boating season is not so great in Florida this time of the year, winter is great so I have some time.

MKBLK

Tom L.

From the voice of INexperience - I have the Intex Seahawk 2 and although I can't give a proper review (hasn't  been in the water, yet) as far as durability is concerned. I can state that it is very easy to transport. I doesn't weigh very much at all (about 30#) and fits into a standard size storage bin with its air pump that lives under the cockpit seat in my CP16. I only plan to use it to travel from anchorage to beach or dock when I'd rather not swim.

Compared to the Intex "Explorer" (a pool toy), which I also have, the Seahawk 2 is much better made and seems far more durable. I would imagine that the "Mariner" is far better yet (3 layers) and still is very inexpensive. You can manually inflate it or bring along an inexpensive 12v air pump to take the drudgery out of the job (watch the pressure!) or a "D" cell battery pump. I have car topped the Seahawk 2 and properly secured is not a problem for SHORT trips (read: not highway!). Car topping is not advisable and creates a LOT of drag.

I do have the motor mount kit and I plan on using my MinnKota 34# for power. Of course using my Johnson 2hp would eliminate the need for battery and cables, but many of the places that I would use it prohibit gas powered motors.

Finally, I agree, towing any inflatable doesn't appear to be the best solution. An awful lot of drag. Since I drag a CP16, it is important that the inflatable be light enough to handle easily on board and doesn't take up much space. I realize it's not a "life boat" and is not intended for that purpose.

One caveat: Some states might require separate registration for a "powered" craft! Bummer.

Marty K.
CP16 Pegasus
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Jon898

If you do find a Redcrest, I recently consigned the floorboards, oars and motor-mount for one to Hurricane Jack's in Bridgeton NC ( https://hurricanejacks.wordpress.com/ ).  I lost the Redcrest to a fire when it was 20 years old, but then it was still in good condition.

Joseph

For a small sailboat like the SunCat (and an aging solo skipper) consider the vintage Sportyak II. The design is from the 60s but it is still made in France and the US. It is small, light, relatively cheap, very stable and sturdier than it looks (particularly the one made by BYC, I do not know about the KL). It realy is a pre-inflated rigid inflatable. It tows nicely on its double hull and it can be rowed most effectively while sitting inside or kneeing on a soft pad.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

SteveB

Quote from: Joseph on June 27, 2015, 12:06:20 PM
For a small sailboat like the SunCat (and an aging solo skipper) consider the vintage Sportyak II. The design is from the 60s but it is still made in France and the US. It is small, light, relatively cheap, very stable and sturdier than it looks (particularly the one made by BYC, I do not know about the KL). It realy is a pre-inflated rigid inflatable. It tows nicely on its double hull and it can be rowed most effectively while sitting inside or kneeing on a soft pad.

J.

Joseph:  Interesting design.  Will put it on my list.  Sent you a private message.  Would like to connect.

Steve.

Jon898

Quote from: Joseph on June 27, 2015, 12:06:20 PM

J.

One caution with the Sportyak if you get one "used" is to make sure there are no cracks in the outer hull caused by dragging up a beach or grounding.  If there are (and they can be very hard to find by eye), water will find its way between the inner and outer skin.  Although you probably won't sink, the water sloshing around between the skins makes the boat very unstable.  I found that out the hard way many, many years ago with a Durafloat dinghy (round bilged sister to the Sportyak) which had developed a crack where the drain tube attached to the outer hull and caused me to take an unintended swim in the Thames.  The Sportyak is inherently more stable (if you can call a boat that small stable) because of the catamaran-like hull shape, but can still have an issue.

moebedick

Five years ago I bought an "Aquos" 7' inflatable dinghy on EBay for about $400. I assembled it and inflated it (unfortunately ,on my enclosed front porch) just to see how it looked. Looked real good,so I decided to wrestle it through the front door,by myself,because I am a manly-man. After numerous trips in and out a window,some deflating,and minor abrasions-two both my person and the dinghy-the deed was done. The boat has been inflated since and only requires minor reinflation in the spring and once or twice through the season. Winters are spent up-side down protecting my lawn furniture from excessive snow load. In central Mass we had 12' of snow this year,not counting what the snowblower added to the heap. This is one tough dinghy! The only problem comes from my obsession with cleaning it in the spring/ fall. I'm not sure which of my cleaning concoctions caused it,but the rub rail is sticky and will leave some smut on the hull of my white Suncat where it rubs. Rows pretty well due to its inflated keel and powers along nicely with my 1971 Evinrude Mate-- probably way less than the original 1 1/2 hp. Occasionally needs to have oar locks reglued,but that's my sons problem,I have the motor.

relamb

I had my Apex repaired at Suncoast Inflatables in St Petersburg, and then found AIboats in St Pete where I bought the Redcrest.
Both of these shops have a decent assortment of consignment dinghys and motors.  You might want to call places that sell new inflatables, most shops have consignment sales or trade ins.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN