a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Small boat blisters question

Started by PalmettoSailor, May 08, 2015, 09:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoSailor

I know always is a rather comprehensive term, but without being too philosophical and more practical, I pose this question. Do small (dime size or less) random (like a freckle pattern) blisters indicate structural problems?

Now a little more philosophical, would a small pattern like this keep you from buying an older (25-30 yr old)
boat showing these signs?

mattman

Hmmm, I guess that depends, did you mean blisters on a small boat or small blisters on a big boat? For me it wouldn't keep me from buying, but I would have the cost estimate figured before purchase along with a satisfying cost adjustment. It would all boil down to the cost of a boat without the problem vs the cost (both in money and time) of the boat after the fix, if you indeed intend to fix them. Best of luck!

JBC

I have this question:  Will the boat be trailer sailed or kept in the water? If the latter, I would hesitate since that's the cause of the blisters in the first place and may raise more than cosmetic questions (potential delamination of fiberglass, etc.) and might require a serious fix in order to continue remaining on a mooring or in a slip.

But if I were going to trailer-sail the boat, and assuming there were no obvious signs of structural damage (rotting concrete in the top of the keel, soft spots in the bottom, etc.), then I would use the blisters as negotiation leverage to get a lower price, fix the small blisters myself and sail happily away.

Jett

capt_nemo

PalmettoSailor,

"...indicate structural problems?" Not necessarily, unless the blisters when opened penetrate deep into the hull structure and are close and numerous.

"... small pattern like this keep you from buying an older (25-30 yr old) boat ...? NO, if all else on the boat were found to be satisfactory.

And, I agree with other comments about negotiating repair cost into purchase price.

capt_nemo

wes

Blister repair isn't difficult, just tedious. I wouldn't give a second thought to buying a (Com-Pac)boat with a manageable number of them. Applying a barrier coat after repair should prevent further issues.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

My opinion is no and no.  They do not necessarily indicate structural damage.  Now if you have a fresh water boat that stays out of the water in the winter, they can freeze and lead to problems.

Two of my past boats had blisters when I bought them, and blisters when I sold them.  One of them I owned for sixteen years, just never got around to doing the repair.