a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C-27 mast rake?

Started by SteveA, May 11, 2015, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

My boat has a pretty strong weather helm so the other day I measured the rake with a 3' level and found that in 3' it is about a 1/2" out which would translate to 5 or 6"s back.  Have you measured yours or know where it is set?  I believe it is supposed to be at 90 degrees so we will work on it this week and see if that improves things. 

Thanks for your comments/suggestions...

Steve

mattman

That doesn't seem like a bad measure to me. There are several factors for excessive weather helm. Boat heel being one. Blown sails second, poor sail combo third...most unlikely poor design. So... my  questions... how much breeze were you in, how old are the sails, how flat did you run the main?  The shape of the sail is everything! On the flipside, you are close hauled in light air less than 10kts, nice mainshape with the top tell just stalling, and the 150 flowing nice and it tires you out to hold the bow down...now I start to look at a rigging or design issue. If you have a racer you can get out on the boat, take him and let him play around for an hour or so, you may just need a little sail shape. Best of luck.

SteveA

Thanks for the comments. 
The boat was new to me last year and the 135 jenny is only 2 years old and the main is brand new.  I am still going through all the systems and getting to know the boat.  The boat does still pull up on a strong puff even with the 135 pulled in and a reefed main especially when healed.  I am just trying to find out what is normal for the boat.  I believe the manual says the mast should be at 90 degrees and this seems out by enough to make a difference.  All my sailing has been cursing, not racing  so I am working on refining those skills.

I do have a racing buddy with a tension gauge who will help with the reset if it is worth the effort, just wondering...

Steve

deisher6

Hey Steve:
I am wondering if just filling the water tank would bring the mast forward enough?
regards charlie

Craig

I would look at the rake first. Easy to do with a little stay adjusting. A bow-down trim can also induce weather helm in some boats. Probably not an issue but check the angles on the genny sheets. The blocks may need to be moved to get a good set/balance relative to the main.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Patrick

Quote from: Craig on May 12, 2015, 09:21:59 AM
I would look at the rake first. Easy to do with a little stay adjusting. A bow-down trim can also induce weather helm in some boats. Probably not an issue but check the angles on the genny sheets. The blocks may need to be moved to get a good set/balance relative to the main.

Filling the water tanks does not give the boat a bow down orientation.  On the contrary, I've found a full tank puts the boat on its water line.
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

SteveA

The water tank is full and the rail still doesn't drain very well.  I have wondered if the drains are really in the right place or the balance was off because of the puddle aft of the drain.

Has anybody measured the rake of their mast?  When I sight mine down a row of boats, mine is among the very most aft.

Steve

Tney88

Not CP specific, but here's a very good discussion of adjusting for weather helm including mast rake:

http://johnellsworth.com/writing/nautical/balance_helm/balance.html

Terry Ney
CP-27 "Paradiso"
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

mattman

"The boat does still pull up on a strong puff even with the 135 pulled in and a reefed main especially when healed."

How much is a strong puff??? 15kts,  20kts, 25kts, 35kts??

SteveA

I don't have a wind gauge but I'd guess the other day the gusts were nice at 20+.  We did get knocked over once and even the bilge hatch fell off as we were laid over so far and the boat popped right back up.  It was a great day...

redfishnc

Steve A, would have thought the boat would have rounded up in a strong gust?

SteveA

Yes, it does round up in a gust hard.  The knock down was a surprise big gust from the beam.