a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

before I cut the hole for the deckpipe

Started by BruceW, May 03, 2015, 04:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceW

I checked out the chain locker, and the wires for the red and green lights come up through the bottom, and split to go to each light. These wires might get fouled by the anchor rode, so I'm wondering best way(s) to protect them. I thought about just taping them to the hull. Maybe there's something better I should do?

thanks,

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

hoddinr

How about running them through pvc as a conduit to protect them?

Ron

alsantini

On a previous boat I had the same problem.  I went to an auto parts store and bought a flexible conduit.  It wrapped around the wires and I was able to tie wrap it out of the way.   If things are tight you could use duct tape to keep it against the hull?

BruceW

Good ideas, guys; not wanting to fool with the metal,  I had thought of that foam insulation pipe stuff if I could get it small enough diameter, but I like the flex conduit idea with ties. I could then tape it to hull so it would be more out of the way.

Thanks!
Bruce Woods

Tom L.

HI Bruce, I wouldn't use tape to try and secure the conduit. It would last a while but would surely fail in time. Just when you didn't expect or were prepared for a problem.

I would secure the conduit with epoxy. The spiral conduit is usually a poly product which can not be glued. If you go that way epoxy a few wood blocks and secure to that with Tie wraps. With PVC you can glue it directly to the hull with epoxy. If you decide to use PVC, slit the PVC and you can spread it apart and insert the wiring.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

BruceW

Cool, Tom, I appreciate the caveats on the tape, etc. I'll be giving these ideas some thought.
Bruce Woods