News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Does your boat have backing plates for the jib sheet fairleads?

Started by Steve Sail 155, June 09, 2015, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sail 155

My boat had some surface cracking on the coaming around the jib sheet fairleads.  The shop ground out the area and found that it had been previously repaired with Bondo. 

I'm thinking the original gel coat cracked.  It was repaired with Bondo and then painted.  That repair cracked. 

Inside the cabin I can see that the fairleads are secured only with bolts and nuts.  There are no backing washers.  No backing plate.

This is obviously a high stress area as a winch is necessary to sheet the jib. 

Does your boat have backing plates for the jib sheet fairleads?

Thanks.

Steve

skip1930

Have never used the fairleads on my CP-19.

Tried 'em once in the first week of ownership and sailing years ago. Complete failure for me.

skip.

wes

Steve - sounds like you don't have the Genoa tracks. I thought they were standard on the 19 but perhaps not. They are an excellent addition, especially since the 19 is somewhat underpowered with a working jib and really benefits from a larger foresail. I use a 155 on light wind days or for lake sailing (central NC) and a 110 in heavier wind. I don't think the fairleads would work for either since the sheets need to be run outside the shrouds.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

DougN

I had the same issue on my cp23.I over drilled the holes,beveled the holes top and bottom,taped the hole from the inside and filled with six-10 epoxy.I repainted the boat so I did all the hardware the same way.When there was wood core I removed some of the wood between layers.Through trial and error(mostly error) I found a key-hole router bit in a 3/8 drill motor seemed to work best.I rarely use the fairleads either,sometimes when close-hauled we'll run the sheets inside the shrouds and through them.I seem to be able to sail a little closer to the wind but unless you have teenagers on board that need to be kept busy it's not worth the effort.Since I had the material on hand I added backing plates all around but it seems fender washers would work just as well.Good luck.               Doug