a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

also built a helm seat

Started by Tney88, April 22, 2015, 03:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

I built a helm seat to replace the stock fiberglass one.  Two reasons:  1)  The Admiral, who is vertically challenged, wanted a "Bottomsiders" arched cushion to raise her seated viewpoint, and 2) I wanted a place to fit a Seaward propane locker, and it wouldn't quite fit under the stock seat.  So this is what I came up with:

Terry Ney  __/)  __/)
Com-Pac 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

deisher6

Hey Terry: Nicely done.  Thanks for the pictures.
regards charlie

PalmettoSailor

You got skills, Terry. Very nice.

brackish

Great job Terry on the seat and the table.  I'm curious about something else though.  In the picture it looks like a boarding ladder in the background with wooden treads but no screw or nuts coming out of the bottom of the SS tube.  Is that what I'm seeing?  How are they held on?  Did you tap the tube?

Tney88

Yes, that is what you are seeing.  It hinges on the transom just out of sight in the pictures, and swings down 180 degrees when you want to use it.  There are short stubs of tubing that protrude out, and I keep crutch tips on them so prevent metal from hitting the fiberglass when it's in the down position.  That came with the boat, and I've never had the wooden steps off the SS rails, so I'm not sure.  On the top side there's a pair of phillip's head screw heads, so I'm assuming it's either a sheet metal screw or a machine screw into a tapped hole, more likely the former as the wall thickness of that tubing probably doesn't tap well.  Paradiso is a 27/3 built in 2004, and the stern pulpit has the two "thrones" or pulpit seats, one on each side, if that helps.

Terry
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR