a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lazy Jacks

Started by Southold, April 21, 2015, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southold

What are the plusses and minuses of installing lazy jacks on a Sunday Cat?  I have to lower my sail and then mast outside of a bridge to get back to my dock.  I find it a bit discombobulating.  the Gaff is generally flying around and the sail is tough to manage.

Craig

Lazy jacks are the way to go.No downside as far as I am concerned. Capt Nemo has posted a simple system here. A search should bring it up. Easy and cheap to fabricate.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Floridagent

I made a simple set on my Sunday Cat and it takes the discombobulation out of the equation.  It also serves as a topping lift when the sail is down and you want a little more headroom in the cockpit. The only downside is that it adds another line to remember to tighten or loosen when you need to. 
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

FireDrill

A must have!  Use as a topping lift is also highly desirable.  Downside is the extra line that might get snagged  or need loosening when raising mast. Also it can pinch the sail so it must be adjusted after raising sails so it does not alter sail shape  by impinging on the full sail.  You'll probably have the end dangling somewhere and having a fixture, second cleat or Velcro patch to keep it on the boom is helpful
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada