a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lots of work to do

Started by rbh1515, May 11, 2015, 09:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

My boat should finally be coming as early as this weekend.  I've got a list of things to do once I get the boat:
-install boomkicker
-install home-made lazy jacks
-put tell tales on the sail
-install swing arm for GPS
-varnish the bow sprit and tiller (actually will probably use Sikkens)
-install wind indicator(s)...still not sure if I will put on a masthead indicator or smaller indicators on the shrouds
-install line organizer pockets in cockpit, and some organizers in the cabin
-put on state registration stickers, and also put the name on the stern.
I plan on taking videos of the boat and posting them since there really isn't much out there yet on the Horizon Day Cat.  One of my friends just got a nice drone, so some drone videos of the boat sailing will be posted.  I'll also post some videos of the boat being propelled by the Torqeedo.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

kickingbug1

wow drone videos---that would be saweet
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Wow. A drone. Just think of what trouble we could get into at CLR if we had a drone! Staggers the imagination!
Bob23

cdflan

Some alternatives from my Horizon Cat:
Easiest line caddy I found is the Ronstan hanger with a hook and loop of shock cord shown below next to the compass.
For lazy jacks, this site has many good suggestions for simple ones but the picture below shows what I fabricated.  The windward lazy jack is visible and the leeward shows as a shadow. 
A length of braided line (to avoid stretch) with thimble in eye splice at one end and tang at the other end attached on the same bolt as the shroud on both sides at the top of the mast.  Another length of braided line is attached to an eye strap 2/3 way back on boom, up through thimble, back through an eye strap under the boom 1/3 way back, up through leeward thimble, down to small turning block opposite fixed end and then to V-Cleat just forward of the outhaul cleat.  Set up also doubles as topping lift.
(I also leave the reef lines in the sail - loop on one side)
It's probably hard to see, but the best wind sensor I found was the Raymarine wireless unit with the vane and anemometer on top and forward of the mast and the removable display unit for direction and velocity slips onto a mounting pad on the starboard cabin bulkhead (mirrors the compass location).  Pricey but has work out well.
For the electronics, I took one section off a Majestic TV swing mount and replaced the TV attachment bracket with a piece of aluminum cut out to mount a Lowrance GPS and bent to form shelf to mount the cradle/charger for the VHF.  Pictured below is the unit in both the stowed and active  positions.
Have used all the Interlux and Petit varnishes over the years (believe Hutchins uses the latter) but refinished mine with Minwax Helsman (which was rated well by Practical Sailor) last fall and it went on beautifully and so far has weathered the Florida sun.  Will  put another coat on next month to get through the summer.  For the teak trim and rails, I've used Semco Natural which is a beautiful finish but requires recoating every 3 or 4 months.  Don't think your Day Cat has that much extra teak and I would go with the Minwax if I owned it.

rbh1515

cdflan,
Great advise!  I noticed you had a recent post about the Tides Marine mast track.  I may look into that.  Easy install?  About how much?    Can't wait to try out my Torqeedo.
Rob

cdflan

Installing the track on the mast was very easy - it's the rest that takes a bit of work.
I ordered 15' of track, 2 headboard slides (gaff and boom) and 3 luff slides.  Can send you copy of the order if you get serious but I didn't make a note of the cost - several hundred dollars.
The mods are shown below.  Much of the problem relates to needing a two part track to allow the mast folding.  The main piece goes from the top of the track to about 2" above the hinge point.  A second short piece slides in the "mast stub" long enough to hold the slide stack but short enough to drop below the hinge when lowering mast.  I used the slide stop which comes with the track to lock this short section up or down by drilling hole through stop and track any making a large square nut that fits in the slot of the aluminum mast having sharp turned up corners to dig in and lock the track section in place.  The next issue was keeping the two track sections aligned when together (since the track is slightly loose in the old track).  I used a couple of small stainless channels as seen in the middle picture held to the lower section with the Phillips head screws.  If I was to do it again, probably two small pins with mating holes would do the job.
To attach the boom and gaff, I used two long eye bolts.  At the boom, I dropped the reefing hook and replaced it with a block so that I could run a line from the boom through the luff reef cringle, thru the block and back to cleat on boom so I can do the complete reef in the cockpit.  For the gaff, you need to use a small sleeve to space the gooseneck in the headboard slide.  Also found that with the existing gaff fitting, I needed to file a small half round relief in the upper edge of the gaff end casting as you can just see in the upper picture.
At the end of all this, The sail goes up and down like on a buttered pole!

rbh1515

Boat "will" be here Tue evening!
Rob