- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

She floats!

Started by CurtTampa, December 22, 2015, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

After nearly a year refit she floats!!!

relamb

Great!  What all did you do to her in the past year?
Where are you floating to?  I just launched mine in Tampa Bay, it's at The Harborage in St Pete for the winter.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

CurtTampa

Currently trying out Lands End Marina in Apollo Beach. The boat had been sitting on a lift on the St Johns River. I removed years and years of hard bottom paint. Took the bottom of the hull to gel coat. Blister repair. Some rudder work and 7 layers of West System barrier coat. Wet sanded hull from 800 to 1200 grit. Rubbed it out, glazed and waxed it. Repainted the waterline and sheer stripes green. Rewired all mast electrical, added a tricolor and anchor light and foredeck steaming combo. Added a spinnaker crane and two blocks at the masthead. New VHF antenna with AIS. Replaced Isofurl furler with a Seldon Furlex. Added a Rocna 10 Anchor and moved the Fortress 11 to the stern. New Windex and "bird spikes". Removed rub rail cleaned out years if gunk that was streaking hull and resealed hull to deck joint. Replaced transom scuppers.  Replaced all port glass with tempered glass and new seals. Replaced all standing rigging and turnbuckles as well as all running rigging. Currently shopping new sails. Still have a to do list a mile long.

relamb

I'll have to sail over and check it out when I get down there after Christmas!
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

deisher6

Hey Curt:
Great looking C-27.  I hope that it serves you well.
Could you post or send pictures of your helmsman seat.  It looked interesting and comfortable.
regards charlie

CurtTampa

Will do. Should be down at the boat tomorrow.

Awfeith

I think we looked at her when we bought ours 2 years ago. It was sitting on a lift for years, and looked like quite a project! You seemed to handle it well. Great job! We are over by the Dunedin causeway, if you ever get up this way. Once again great work, and Happy New Year

CurtTampa

Thanks! Yes that was the diamond in the rough - very rough. Had good bones just neglected. Took a lot more time and energy (and boat bucs) than planned. Not sure what it looked like when you saw it but the entire standing rigging was covered with moss balls/air plants. The most amazing part was the results of restoring the gelcoat. More labor intensive than the miracle poly potions but worth IMHO.