News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone ever launched their CP19 with a motorhome?

Started by copcardrvr, April 13, 2015, 11:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

copcardrvr

We are the proud new owners of a (not so new) class A motorhome and have yet to take it on it's maiden "voyage". A lot of the campgrounds we're considering here in Minnesota are near lakes (we have 10,000 of 'em). We could easily pull our ComPac 19 but the thought of trying to launch it with the motorhome sends shivers down my spine (I keep having dreams about the movie where Robin Williams' RV ends up in the lake). Does anyone have experience with this or should I forget it because it's just too hard to do? I've thought about offering to pay someone with a pickup at the campground to do it, but that's not very reliable. Any thoughts or suggestions?

relamb

My dad launched many boats with several different motorhomes.  I've always had a truck camper instead and towed my CP23 and this fishing boat which weighed about 6500 lbs gross on the trailer.  Launched the boats many many times with the camper on, in fact most times.
My typical worry was very steep ramps, I was afraid my tiedown chains would break and the camper would slide out the back.
Also all your dishes and food and stuff in the fridge and cabinets slide to the back on steep ramps.
You can't see around the camper body, so you need a helper.
The truck has about a 30" hitch extender to get the hitch ball out from under the camper overhang.
I tow my CP27 with this same truck, although I no longer have the camper.  I just sleep in the boat when travelling.

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

copcardrvr

I never thought about all the stuff in the fridge, etc. I'll have to give this some thought. Gotta protect the beer at all costs.

Duckie

A neighbour of mine has a second hitch mounted to the front of his class A for launching his sailboat.  When he gets to the parking lot, he nips off the boat and re-attaches the trailer to the front so that he can drive the trailer into the water forward. 

Al

Tom L.

Just thinkin outloud. Most RVers tow a toad behind their motor home. If you were towing a boat instead what would you use to move around the area where you are camping. A motor home is just a truck and is capable of towing and launching a boat but a very expensive one if anything does go haywire. If I had a truck camper I would just spot the camper and use the truck like anyone else trailering with a truck.

Just thinkin

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

copcardrvr

Not set up for a toad yet, need a dolly. We plan to use bicycles to explore the immediate area. If we take month long trip where we'll be moving alot we'll leave the boat home and, most likely, tow a car instead but for a week long trip to a lake, I'd much rather have a sailboat than a car at my disposal. The front mounted hitch is a great idea. We do have a backup camera so I could see what the boat is doing while backing down the ramp. I guess my main concern is the amount of space and the congestion and most launch ramps. I've seen impatient boaters when someone is taking too long at thr ramp and it's not pretty.

Tom L.

You are right about congestion and impatience at some ramps. Sailboaters are always a little bit slower than runabouts because the runabouts power on and off the trailer in seconds. Some sailors are inconsiderate so make sure you are all rigged and ready to leave the ramp dock as quick as safely possible.

I too have seen the front mounted hitch. Seems like that might be a good option especially since you have a back up camera to back out of the ramp area. Again try to clear the staging area when you do all your hooking and unhooking, don't clog up the middle of the ramp.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

atrometer

We have a class A and I've thought about launching boat - big concern for me is the rear overhang behind the rear wheels - I think it would be in the water!  Front hitch sounds like a GREAT idea, especially since the rear dual wheels would be high and dry, no moss to worry about.

relamb

You'll notice my truck is a 4x4.  I had a two wheel drive truck prior and sometimes it was a bear trying to pull the boat out of the water on a slick and steep ramp.
You just couldn't get any traction with the drive wheels spinning in the slime.   A motorhome would likely have the same issue, not being able to pull its own weight up a slick ramp.  I would use a hitch extender to keep the wheels up where you had good traction, or go with a front hitch so your traction wheels were up high and dry.   ...unless of course you have a 4 wheel drive motorhome.
Then again, there will always be some cowboy around with a big 4x4 truck who'd love to tow your motorhome and boat up the ramp with his pickup.
So just keep a tow strap handy and find a good place on the front of the motorhome frame to pull from.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Salty19

I agree with relamb....trailer extender would be best.

Theoretically with the font hitches, your drive wheels will be dry, but the weight transfer and hitch weight will unload them, reducing traction.  Duallys may do better or worse, I suppose you could make cases for and against them when on a slippery boat ramp.

But the slime is pretty darn slippery too so the front hitch will avoid the scum.

Have always had AWD and never problems, and yes, I've towed 2x4 pickups with powerboats up ramps before when they spun and got stuck on slimy ramps.
Just glad I could help him before he pulled his trunk into the drink...

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

philb Junkie19

And if you run into an unusually steep slippery ramp , maybe at low tide, the rear hitch will be a great place to attach the tow chain you can carry in case Salty 19 forgets his.

Duckie

I have a class C that is all of 16 ft long that couldn't pull a wheel barrow up a ramp.  Its a great little unit, but I find myself using the sailboat as a camper when I am going on long trips that include sailing.  A small cruising boat like the 16 is a super camper.  I have probably spent as many nights in my sailboats parked in a campground as I have on the water.  The simplicity of the whole idea really appeals to me. 

Al

crazycarl

Duckie,

I've done the same with our 19 at rest stops and Walmart parking lots.

Always enjoy the strange looks when I emerge in the morning and start cooking breakfast!

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

You didn't get the name Crazy Carl for no reason! :)
Bob23