Started by mrtoad, October 13, 2012, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtoad

sailing navigation apps for android

do you have any suggestions ?

thanks

mr toad

Greene

Since the Admiral just replaced her lost phone with a Droid Razr, I of course immediately checked online for sailing app recommendations.  I was surprised to find that very few had good recommendations.  I thought a simple anchor alarm app would be nice, but the cheapo ones rated really poorly.  I'll be interested to hear what others find.

I use a phone that is one step up from the Jitterbug, so I don't get any apps on mine.  I must be getting older because the Jitterbug is starting to look good too.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

You won't like my suggestion. Use the phone as a phone and get real navigational equiptment. My Android battery has such a short life that I couldn't fathom using it for anything else.
Bob23
Mike: Jitterbug? And I thought you had one of these:

Lafayette Bruce

Not sailing specific but an awesome marine app is by Navionics but it does cost $9.  Well worth it in my opinion.  Check it out for yourself.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Greene

Bruce,

I use Navionics on my iPad, but I had to add some better charts to make it worthwhile.  Are the charts that come with your app good enough?

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Lafayette Bruce

Mike-
Yes, they are quite good.  Of course since it is on a phone and if I want to keep it operating I need to plug my phone charger in and set the screen to not go off, otherwise battery drainer.
I also use it to check out a "new to me" lake to see how sail-able it is.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

tmw

Does anyone have guidance on which of the Navionics apps are best?  It look like (via Play store, Android) there are:

Boating (Free)
Boating HD (Free)
Boating USA ($9.99)
Boating USA HD ($49.99)

I'm likely looking at running via a tablet rather than on my phone, as the battery has better life there.  Anyone know if the HD really worth 5x the price?
Any guidance on the cost of maps?

tmw

From what I have read, the Navionics apps aren't as good as they used to be, as they are moving to a subscription model to keep the income coming in, rather than a buy it and be done with it.  I decided that Marine Navigator is worth the $8.95, after playing with the free version.   It downloads the NOAA raster charts (which are free), and displays my position and targets on those well, with the basic features I need.

Now to figure a battery backup, for when it's out of juice.  If nothing else, I could work off the paper charts and taking sightings and what-not, although it's tougher without GPS.

mattman

I have Navionics on iphone, North America and South America for the Caribbean. It think it was $19 for north america and $29 for south and a years' worth of updates. I compared it recently in Antigua and it matched the chart plotter and gps unit. I had preprogrammed all waypoints in before the trip. But, you asked about droids so, I believe active captain is a droid friendly system. here is the link.

https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php

Ted

Buy a couple extra phone batteries if your device supports it. My Note Edge does. It's great! Just switch out the battery if you can't get it charged any other way.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

BruceW

I plugged my phone into the jumpstart battery to track a 3 hour sail. I am experimenting with various free apps to see what I like best.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

tmw

The free version Marine Navigator Lite is dependent upon having the menu function, which isn't present on the newer Android operating systems.  I've had this problem with older apps.  Fortunately, my older tablet that I'm willing to take sailing (not sure I'd feel as risk tolerant with a newer tablet) uses an older operating system.  This isn't an issue with the paid version, as it doesn't rely on that menu function.

My older tablet uses a proprietary connector and 10.5 volts (Sony, of course) so the easy solution is the inefficient 12v to 110 ac (via a power inverter) to 10.5v (via the manufacturers charger).  For my phone, I've ordered a DC 6V-40V to 5V 3A double USB Charge DC-DC step-down converter module for only $1.89 direct from China.  I can plug my 12V power directly into there.  The backup when the tablet black may be my phone, and it's standard USB charging capabilities...