a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

fouled peak halyard

Started by tmorgan, May 04, 2008, 07:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

I was sailing in strong winds this weekend with a reef in the main.  The peak halyard became twisted around it self and I could not get the gaff all the way up.  I lowered the sail, untwisted the lines by turning the block on the gaff.  But when I raised the sail again, the halyard twisted again.  Anyone have a solution to this problem?  I was wondering if you could use a fixed rather than a swivel block on the gaff?

patch

happens to me also.today i used dw-40 on the gaff blocks,then raised the gaff 4 pulls,aligned the blocks so the line was running right.then pulled both halyards to the right spot on the mast.blocks were right.sailed with boom 4" above the hinge.having the blocks twisted may not effect sailing,but it drives me  nuts.

Jack

I had the problem and replaced the block with a fixed block rather than a swivel.

tmorgan

I replaced the block with  one that does not swivel as Jack did and that resolved the problem.  thanks for the advice.

ourcat

Thanks to the guys who wrote about the line getting fouled around the peak haylard block.  Its been a constant problem for me.  I replaced the swivel block with a fixed one and: like magic - problem solved.
ourcat