News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone on the West Coast with a Horizon Cat?

Started by sbgolden, August 15, 2014, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbgolden

Hi-
I am looking to check out a Horizon Cat somewhere on the West Coast, before purchasing one from the East Coast....I just want to make sure the model/size is for me. Does anyone know of one that is located within a 2 hour flight of Vancouver, British Columbia. Also wondering what people think of ocean sailing the HC? I would be sticking close to shore and mostly doing bay sailing.
Thanks! Looking forward to being an HC owner soon.
cheers
shira

rbh1515

I sail on Lake Michigan, and am also researching the Horizon.  Lake Michigan would be pretty similar to your coastal sailing, except no currents.  I met a guy in our marina with a HC, and he is taking me out tomorrow.  Am very curious to see how she sails.  I'll let you know my thoughts.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Craig

Welcome! The HC should be great for the waters you describe. Remember that catboats of the HC's ilk were designed to handle the rough Atlantic waters off New England. They are very seaworthy boats and will probably handle rough conditions better than their crew. The ballasted keel of the HC adds stability as does the diesel(if you opt for it). Keep in mind there is big difference between ocean sailing and ocean passagemaking. Catboats were not designed for long voyages. The negative comments re cats suitability as "ocean" boats has more to do with limited stowage, accommodations, freeboard and cockpit volume which are a factor in ocean crossings  (less so in a coastal cruiser) than seaworthiness per se. There are a number of catboats that sail on San Francisco bay which has some pretty rough waters. Try a post on the Trailer Sailor Catboat Forum, the TS General Forum and the Catboat Association forum to locate a west coast HC near you. Good Luck!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

I went out today for the first time on a Horizon Cat on Lake Michigan.  We had 10 - 17 knot offshore winds, so no much in the way of waves.  Had a great sail.  My first observation was that I had 180 degree unobstructed view without a jenny.  The boat was very stable and fun to sail.  I think I'm going to put my other boat up for sale, and order the Horizon Day Cat.

Craig

Excellent choice! HC Day Cat has a surprisingly roomy cabin for storage and an overnight. With a boom tent it would make an outstanding camper cruiser and with that huge cockpit for day sailing it doesn't get any better in a 20 footer. 

rbh1515

Craig,
Have you seen the HDC in person?  I have just seen pics.  The pics on the website are not the best...many are close up with wide angle.  If you have seen one in person, does it look good?  I think the regular Horizon Cat looks great.  Do you or anyone else have some good pics of the boat either at the dock or sailing?
Rob

Craig

Have seen pics of HDC other than website and it does look good. That being said I still prefer the look of the std HC. We never sail with more than 4 aboard so the std HC cockpit is plenty roomy. If one needs the cockpit space the HDC is a good choice. If you are going to do any cruising the std config would probably be better. A word about the steering: Kailani is my first wheel steering boat in my 50+ years of sailing.It DID take some getting used to BUT once I adjusted, really like it. Provides more useable cockpit space, backs better, and will hold course for short periods of time(actually substantial time under certain conditions)allowing me to move about the cockpit while singlehanding and reduces perceived weather helm(not that there is a lot)which reduces steering effort. The current stainless "destroyer" wheel while not as traditional "salty" as the older spoked wheel is far more practical. I added a "spinner" knob to indicate the rudder amidships wheel position. A skilled knotsman could do a Turks Head for a more traditional look.

rbh1515

Craig,
My current boat has a wheel, and I really want to go back to a tiller.  The Horizon Cat I went out in recently had a wheel, and I would not be interested in a wheel on the HDC.
I am hoping that the HDC doesn't look odd.  I may need to fly down to FL to see one in person--or, if someone could post some of their own pics at the dock and sailing, that would be great.
Rob

Craig

Google "Horizon Day Cat". There are some for sale listings showing some pics. Doesn't look odd to me.

rbh1515

Craig,
Yes I've seen them all.  Just looking for a couple simple side pictures.

ospreyjib

You still looking for a Horizon Cat on the west coast?  I've got one in Scappoose Oregon.  I bought it sight unseen from the east coast and had it trucked out. I love it.
Jim