a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Propane fueled outboard?

Started by alsantini, February 26, 2015, 10:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I wonder if anyone here has any experience with the propane fueled outboards?  I am thinking of replacing my 15  year old Nissan 4 hp 4 stroke in the future and using propane seems like a good deal.  What am I missing?  Anyone have one on an Eclipse?
Al

Salty19

Do a search at our home page for "lehr".  It's been discussed before.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

alsantini

I saw the posts but they are over 6 months old and I was hoping for someone with recent experience or another evaluation post showing months of use.

wordnut

WANTS-N-TIDES just posted a picture of his new propane rig in the Legacy thread.

hoddinr

Star Marine in St. Pete was/is carrying them, but the owner told me to stay away.  He said they're just not built to the same quality standards as the Japanese Gas motors.

Vectordirector

Al,

Can't speak to the propane ones.  I think I saw one at West Marine once.  Have you looked into Torqueedo?  Don't know if you are aware, but the Torqueedo distributor, I think for the whole US, is in Crystal Lake.  You might find one to check out when you are back north.  Would probably be sufficient on the chain, don't know about down here.  Strikingly expensive, but European, not Chinese trash.  The solar chargers are really cool.  Someone here, can't remember the username, had one custom installed in a Horizon Cat, replacing the diesel.  Very cool boat, lots of pics were posted.  Guy down the canal took delivery of a new Tartan 26 daysailor last summer.  I've seen him out twice.  $90k and beautiful.  Already for sale.  He will take a $10K hit.  At least.  That boat has a Torqueedo.  Don't know why he's selling it.  Interesting though. 

Of course, the Tohatsu Sailpro 4or 6 seems the most popular on this forum.  Arthur likes Yamaha.  I'll make that decision when the time comes. Are new models more tolerant of Ethanol? That would be a concern for you in IL.  Can you get pure gas out by your lake house?

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold