a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Shore power

Started by hoddinr, February 05, 2015, 05:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

Has anyone installed a shore power/battery charger connection on their SunCat or larger ComPac?  I'm sure they are part of the 27's equipment, but what about the smaller boats.

When cruising the Erie Canal, or the ICW, the battery or batteries need a decent overnight or longer charge.  The easiest way to do it is to plug a 30 amp cable from the dock or slip post into a "shore power" connection on your boat, thus activating an automatic battery charger.  While connected, you could also have a single or couple of 110 outlets aboard.

Just thinking.

Ron

blighhigh

I have a marine battery charger on my Horizon Cat with capacity to charge two batteries up to 20 amps each.  It does not require a 30 amp service but works fine with 110-120 volt input.

hoddinr

Interesting!
Is it a built in battery charger?
Does your HC have a Shore Power connection, and if so where is it mounted?  Cockpit?

Thanks for sharing.

Ron

Craig

On the HC the connection is on the outside of the starboard coaming. It is a 3 prong male fitting with a rubber cover that mates with the female connector of a standard outdoor extension cord. The fitting is probably available from Compac as well as the charger. When I kept Cattitude in NY in a no-power slip I used a solar charger from Harbor Freight to keep the battery topped up. Worked very well and was inexpensive.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

blighhigh

I bought my battery charger from Anchor Express in Florida.  Just a few screws to mount it on a bulkhead and then hook it up to the battery.  I don't have the 30 amp service so I use a well insulated extension cord for connection to the 120 outlet at my marina.  The extension cord fits under the cockpit locker hatch without the need for an additional electrical receptacle.

Craig

Kailani came from the factory w/the charger and 2 batteries. Can't remember if that was an option or came standard w/the diesel. We do not have 110 shore power outlets but probably would not be too difficult since 110 is available  at charger input. Potential future project! Having the 110 fitting on the coaming is a clean convenient way to get shore power aboard without having to snake an extension thru the cockpit to a charger.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

brackish

My 23 came with shore power and a charger installed.  The charger is a Guest charge pro 5/5 set up to handle the simultaneous charging of two batteries.  I leave the boat plugged into the marina power supply all the time.  The Guest has a charge controller built in to prohibit overcharging.  It has worked out great.  I use a 25 ft., 30 amp shore power cord, and have an adapter plug to change from 30 amp to NEMA 20 amp when necessary.  Location of the female outlet:

hoddinr

Perfect!  Thanks so much.  I know what to look for and where to get it!

Ron

wes

For anyone considering installing shore power on a boat that doesn't already have it, recommend you read this Compass Marine post:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/installing_a_smart_plug

He makes a strong argument that using the new style plug on the boat end is a huge safety upgrade. The shore end of the cable will still be the traditional 30A twist-lock style.

I'm going to upgrade my 27 to this style connector. Fortunately it fits in the same hole as the original twist-lock, so no drilling or patching needed.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

hoddinr

That's a significant upgrade to the std. 30 amp outfit, Wes.  Thanks for the information!

Ron