Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Battery powered drill

Started by Tom L., February 07, 2015, 02:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

Tom L.,

My drill is a HF "Drill Master" with a 3/8" chuck. (Went out to garage to measure it.)

Nevertheless, recommend you go with the HF Drill at that price. You may be pleasantly surprised, and, if not, you will not have invested a lot of money.

Be careful to follow charging instructions to avoid damaging the battery.

capt_nemo   

ChuckO

Same with me - a dilemma  .... got tired of cheap drills with poor chucks and short-life batteries .. went to DeWalt 2-3 years ago ... I like their tool quality, but the battery life and its replacement cost is a bummer; about the same as the cheap no name stuff.  I now think of  drills as "disposable", kind of like computers or TV's.  I'd rather spend 90 bucks on the DeWalt bundle and throw it away after 3-4 years than spend 40 bucks and throw it away after 3-4 years.  (I own a sailboat and worry about $10-15 bucks a year ??? Duh !) and who knows ... maybe I'll find a deal on a battery when I need it?

Sad Thing ??? Black and Decker owns DeWalt, Porter Cable and Stanley

HF definitely has some decent products that have served me well ... however, I don't use tools hard.  All I read about HF states that  the tradesman who makes a living with his tools needs to stay away from the HF line because their tools vary from shipment to shipment ... SOME GOOD, SOME BAD.  Guys like me who use them for short-term projects can sometimes? end up with a deal, but don't count on it.

ChuckO
CP16-2 Carpe Diem
Charleston, SC

Allure2sail

Quote from: hoddinr on February 08, 2015, 08:36:56 PM
Bruce,

Did your Milwaukee drill have Lithium Batteries?  I bought a little screw driver/nut driver with lithium batteries, and it's fantastic!  Forget the brand.

Ron

Hi Ron:
Yes it does, it is very rugged and will most likely outlast me. I use it a lot on projects and repairs. Not cheep, but the difference between a hobby level tool and commercial tool is huge. One thing to mention, Milwaukee batteries come in different strengths and I would say buy the big boys, if your out cruising and need to use the tool the extra battery power is a blessing. Some of the batteries that come with these tools and kits are their smallest amp rated battery they make.
Bruce

brackish

Sad Thing, Black and Decker owns DeWalt, Porter Cable and Stanley

No less sad but it is Stanley that owns B&D and the brand names DeWalt and Porter Cable.  B & D bought the Pentair tool group after Pentair destroyed the group by an ill advised consolidation that killed the goose that had been laying the golden egg.  That purchase helped to drag B & D down so that Stanley could buy them.  I unfortunately lived through it all as an employee of the Pentair Tool Group, but retired after the ensuing chaos was over.  I was with Delta International Machinery.

Back on point, whatever it is it needs to be LI.  The difference is dramatic.

BruceW

The electrician that works on most of the boats at BSC recommended Bosch to me. That's what I have; it has been great. I have a maintenance plan on it that during the warranty period I can call and they'll send me a a replacement. I think it was about 80 bucks.

That was after my skil battery died and the batter was to expensive, just like when I lost my charger for the Sears one, and the charger was too expensive.

I know there's a kind at Lowes or Home Depot that had lifetime warranty; I think you basically pay for two drill/battery sets, and then get the replacement battery if and when.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23