a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gear Question - Anchors & VHF

Started by neosoul, June 25, 2015, 08:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neosoul

I want to replace the anchor and rode that came with the boat when I purchased it. The anchor is old and looks like the one tattooed on Popeye's forearm(see my avatar) and my current rode does not have any chain on it. This combination has always has given me a hard time and seems to just drag on the bottom.  I saw a package deal online at West Marine that includes the following:  Anchor/Rode Package, 5lb. Anchor for 16'-25' Boat Length, 1/4" Chain Dia., 10' Chain Length, 3/8" Line Dia., 200' Line Length - here's the link http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--performance2-anchor-rode-packages--P015067143 The bottom of the Peconic Bay  where I sail, is mostly sand  and the average depth is about 30ft. Some advice I've been getting locally is to get more than one type of anchor and to go heavy not relying on retailer recommendations. I'm just not sure what to get or what will work best for our CP19.

Another item I need to get is a VHF radio. I sailed last year without one and now I know I better. I saw a Standard Horizon HX870 Floating Handheld VHF Radio with GPS for under $250. (I found it for $213  online - http://www.pbsboatstore.com/Standard-Horizon-HX870.htm) I'm thinking this may be a cool way for me to obtain two things I don't currently have - a radio and GPS. Any thoughts about the pros and cons regarding a handheld vs a fixed mount VHF?

I'm putting the boat in tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a great summer. I wish you all the same!   

mattman

I would split the gps and vhf, if one goes down the other works. Charging is the other concern. If the boat has a charging system then the regular vhf battery will be fine. However in my case without a charging system I bought the Uniden that will accept an AA battery pack too. Which btw also is the battery size for the gps. A 5 lb anchor seems pretty light. I use an 11 lb bruce with 10 feet of chain and 150ft of 5/16line on my cp16. The thing to figure is what piece of the combo do you want to be the weakest link. By that, one can go overkill and the cleat breaks or pulls out of the deck before the line parts, etc. Much like the rigging, you want the shroud to break before a tang, turnbuckle or chainplate.  It is a compromise in this regard. I figure I would rather drag slowly into shallow water than break loose a line and quickly go to shallow water or another boat. So I go midsized, not too light not too heavy and use plenty of rode. There will be lots of opinions here and it all depends on your perspective, boat, bottom, wind etc. You should carry 2 anchors. On the large cruising boats I have sailed we routinely dingy out a second anchor-generally the charter company requires this especially when around reefs where you are fined if you damage them. These boats also have all chain rodes so in remote areas where room permits we dump almost all the chain after setting the hook to get weight on the bottom. Swimming on the hook in the morning I have been amazed how the boat will swing on the chain and never even pull up tight on the anchor even in 20kts of wind.  Many folks carry a light lunch hook, the main anchor and a super heavy storm anchor. I prefer to simply use 2 standard sized anchors and place them both out.  The other consideration really is what the bottom is like. I anchored last week in a shale gravel rock bottom and the bruce would drag until hooking onto a rock edge. But in sand or mud it won't budge and inch. Chapman Piloting is the standard, I keep mine on board and refer to it often. I think the web references simply regurgitate what Chapman recommends. Best of luck.

Tom L.

Mattman is right on about the VHF. A hand held is ok but make sure it can use dry cell batteries too and keep some fresh batteries on the boat. My hand held and Garmin 78sc both can use AA batteries so I carry a few.

Anchors are always an active topic. 5# seems too light for anything but a dinghy. Danford style anchors are very good in sand and mud. I used a Fortress (aluminum danford style)on my old boat as a second and a Delta as a primary. The delta is great for anything but Chesapeake bay mud. Don't ask! The fortress is outstanding in Mud and it is aluminum so very light weight.

The Delta is particularly good in weeds and it will reset itself when the wind changes direction in the middle of the night. A Danforth may snag and pull itself out.

If you decide on a danford your best bet is to get an original danforth. Some of the knock offs are junk. The WM knockoffs are Ok but I like the originals best. Well actually I like the Fortress the best with at least 15 feet of chain.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

neosoul

What do you think is a fair price for the various anchors and rodes you are recommending? Do you have any favorite places to make this sort of purchase? I hear mixed reviews about West Marine and Defender's prices. I don't mind paying a fair price, but as a newbie, I am always afraid I'm getting ripped off especially in the summer time in my town when our community's population swells with summer folk and the price of everything goes up.

mattman

I try to price around but usually prices don't vary that much. Boating is an expensive endeavor, I choose items that meet my needs. In the long run, I then have the right gear for the right situation and it is hard to put a price on that! So buy the gear you need for how you sail, and that makes you feel comfortable. You will get a better night's sleep and the value will be there.

Tom L.

When shopping around just make sure you are getting apples for apples. Knockoffs will be less but sometimes are inferior. You have to really know and understand the piece you may be comparing. WM and Defender are not going to be the lowest but they will normally be as advertised and of good quality.

If you know the equipment you can search on Craig's list using searchtempest.com. If you have time and the patience you will have some luck. I bought a delta anchor at less than half price but I kept looking for three months.

You have to patient and have the time to wait. I'm retired in in no big hurry but in the past I didn't always have the time or patience so I bought when I need. For Instance today WM just put inflatable PFD on sale. Lowest price I have seen ever. I bought two. I put up with conventional PFDs for some time. Nothing wrong with that but like others I didn't' wear the PFD all the time. I will now.

captrank

Two different types of anchors is a good idea. No anchor is good in all conditions. I keep a bruce anchor on the bowsprit and a danforth anchor in the lazerete (sp) with rode and chain in a bucket and ready to deploy from the cockpit in an emergency. There is seventy five feet of rode on the danforth and a hundred and forty feet on the bruce. You need chain on your anchor to help the rode to lay on the bottom allowing a horizontal pulling motion on the anchor allowing it to dig in when the proper amount of rode is let out. The United States Power Squadron recommends at least a seven to one ration for anything other than a lunch hook.

I have a Standard Horizon Matrix VHF radio on my boat. It gives your Lat and Long on the radio screen which is great although don't use that to navigate alone. You need a chartplotter for that which is independently connected to a GPS antenna. The Matrix also has a loudhailer which is extremely useful. I have a remote mic connected to my fixed mount VHF so I can use the radio while at the tiller. This is super convenient all the time, but especially when single handling the boat.

Shawn

The 870 is a very nice radio and it can also use aa batteries. If you know other boaters the dsc function is handy as the radio can be set to automatically give each other your position with distance and bearing info. Dsc will also allow you to hail another even if the two of you are on different channels.

Dsc (with gps) is also very good in an emergency as the radio will send a distress call with your location to all boats.

How are you planning on using the anchor?

Shawn

JonnyB

I agree with Shawn. DSC is a handy feature, and comforting in case of an emergency. I have that Standard Horizon 870 and love it (includes AA battery adapter).

If you plan to rely on GPS for navigation, I'd get a standalone unit, as the others have suggested. Not so much for safety in case of failure (after all, a failed GPS, whether standalone or integrated with VHF will still leave you without navigation, and a failed VHF, either standalone or integrated with GPS will still leave you without Comm), but more about convenience (and the 870 GPS can act as your backup!). As implied in the previous posts, if the radio is lost or destroyed, you'd lose both Nav and Comm.

Enjoy the day,
Jon

neosoul

The primary reason I want the anchor is so we can go ashore and explore or have a picnic on the beach and swim. I'd also like to try to do an overnight with my two sons. (Although my 10 year old daughter is really starting to love sailing, she has no desire to do an overnight on the boat especially with her older brothers.) My boat before this one was an O'day Daysailor and I didn't have an anchor I'd just beach the boat when I wanted to go ashore.

Since the only place I sail is a sheltered body of water (Peconic Bay), I am always in sight of land and I do not really need the GPS to navigate. I just thought it would be fun to have and it would be a fine way to check our speed.

Shawn

"The primary reason I want the anchor is so we can go ashore and explore or have a picnic on the beach and swim. I'd also like to try to do an overnight with my two sons. "

OK, in that case don't just get a Danforth type anchor. They are great anchors that hold very well... in one direction. They don't handle tide/wind shifts are well as other designs. The chain/rode can foul the fluke on a wind shift which can prevent them from resetting properly. Wonderful for a lunch hook or while fishing but not for leaving the boat unattended. I use a Fortress FX-16 on my Sabre as much 'lunch' hook as it is so light and holds very well.

If you are planning on leaving the boat unattended (or sleeping through the night) you should check out the so called Next Generation anchors. With what is currently available I'd suggest a Mantus or Manson Boss. I use the Raya but they are no longer available.

The 870 will certainly tell you your land speed. If you want to know water speed a Knot stick works well.

http://www.knotstick.com

Shawn