a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Backing into a slip

Started by steve brown, August 08, 2006, 02:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

Would anyone like to share their procedure for backing a CP-19 into a slip? This part of sailing is giving me trouble. I have a Honda 5 and an Ida rudder. I find it difficult to control the boat in reverse. Should I use the rudder only with the motor in a fixed position, use the motor only to steer with the tiller locked amidships, or try to use both? There seems to be a lot to do and it gets really out of control fast when I am sailing single-handed. Thanks again for your advice. Steve

mikeg

Steve,

I just bought my Compac 19 a month or so ago, so have not have to back into a slip yet. But I did do some backing-in during the ASA 101 and 103 sailing classes I took in June. Granted this was on a Cal 24 keelboat with an outboard-- so handling was probably slightly different than that of the 19.

Backing the 24, I found that the biggest need was to have enough entry space/headway as I approached the slip (in reverse) so that there was enough way-on/ water moving over the rudder so that it was sensitive to my input/corrections. I would recommend locking the outboard into its centerline/fixed position and just steering gently in with the rudder. Once you get enough way on, the Ida should be pretty responsive, I would think. Obviously tight quarter slips across the channel from yours would make this kind of landing tougher. Where I was doing this there was no adjoining slip down-wind but there was a bridge abutment 50 yards down-current/down-wind...so I guess every scenario presents different demons! Let us know how you do.

Mike G.
s/v Freebird

crbakdesign

Hi Steve,

My backing procedure with my CP19 is very slowly, with a hand on the tiller and an eye fore and aft!  Sailboats aren't made to go backwards as is often said.  I like my boat and there's an awful lot of fine boats around me that I'd hate to hit so around the slip I'm careful.  Given the wind direction in our cove, I usually dock forward and back out.

I've also got a 5 hp outboard, a Merc mariner.  Even though I've got the motor pivot screw locked and steer with my rudder, in reverse, the motor will occasionally steer in the opposite direction as the rudder.  That's why I look fore and aft. :)  I've a few neighbors with Cal 22's that motor in reverse out of the slip and all the way to the end of the dock.  I jist turn around and pop the shifter forward when leaving.  All that said, I've yet to have a real problem, Knock on fibreglass!

mgoller

Steve,
This is a manuever I haven't practiced much, but I'll give it a try.  First, these boats don't like going backwards.  Even the prop is designed for forwards.  With the same power applied the prop wont thrust in reverse as hard as forwards.  The rudder is going to turn you more abruptly going backwards.  Then there is prop walk which adds to the complexity.  Because the prop is turning inefficiently in reverse it is going to pull your stern to port.
So, the only way to do this is to go very slow and use both tiller and motor to pull the boat backwards in the direction you intend.  Use only enough engine thrust as you need and be ready to take it out of gear and into forward if you are heading toward breakables.
Use short little puffs of reverse and let the boat drift backwards steering softly with tiller, this will take prop walk out of the equation a little.
Another option is get close to the docks, throw a line up and walk the boat in slowly with two lines.

mikeg

Steve,
I'll add one more bit (which I think we all know- but what the hey)... I learned to always bring the motor down to a settled idle before shifting to neutral???,
or was it from neutral into gear (or both??). My sailing instructor told me that something called a shear pin or something like that in the lower unit??? can fracture if I were to hurriedly shift from reverse or fwd. into neutral- without letting the engine settle to full/low idle.
Mike G.
s/v Freebird

B.Hart

I like mgoller's idea of two lines. I would rather take my time then crash into the dock or neighbors boat.

NormD

Perhaps consider some type of outboard to rudder linkage so the outboard turns with the rudder. This will free up one of your hands!
There are some commercial products such as the EZ Steer http://www.ezsteer.com/index.htm but it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a DIY version.

steve brown

Thanks all.  I'll give some of these ideas a try. In the meantime I have padded my slip with swim noodles just in case things get away from me. Going slow is the way to go. Good sailing, Steve

Crabcop

In addition to the swim noodle bumpers, you might try using guide lines from piling to piling on both sides of your slip. Keeps you from slipping between pilings and hitting your neighbors, once you get inside the two outermost pilings. Also gives you something to grab onto if the wind is trying to push your boat around in the slip while you are trying to pick up your dock lines.

Craig Weis

Sure no big deal I do it every return trip to the dock.
One motor up to the dock and STOP!
Swing her astern and line her up. Use the O/B and rudder to do this.
Drive her back. Coast. Drive, Coast till you enter the dock. At this point I go to 'N' and step off the boat and walk her backwards. I have permenant dock lines with bowline loops that I slip over the winch and these act as spring lines. Then depending on the wind I cleat up the stern or bow first. Easy as pie. REMBER TO STOP AND SWING HER ASTERN.
Additionally my boat only sits or rest on one big fender placed and tied to the dock to 'hit' amidships and between the dock and the boat. No other fenders or bumpers are necessary. And I never hang a fender off my boat while at my 'home' slip. I only hang one over the side if visiting another birth. skip.