a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Garage Fit

Started by Simple Song, September 14, 2014, 12:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple Song

Will a Suncat with the "garage package" (6' clearance I think) and folding trailer tongue fit in a 20' 6" garage space ?

capt_nemo

Simple Song,

YES!

Mine went straight into a 19' garage space with little room to spare as shown in the pic below.

In order to get around the front to the other side with the garage door closed, I had to remove the winch support beam and spare tire.

I carefully laid the mast (with sail bent on and covered) on a padded cabin top with end elevated and supported in the cockpit. Nothing else was disconnected except the mast stub and Boom Gallows. Be careful - my sail cover just barely touched the rubber weather strip attached to the top of the garage door opening.

I found the Garage Package (and tongue hinge) worth the additional cost to store the boat in a protected environment for a long period of time (winter perhaps) or for shorter periods to  work on it with shop and tools handy.

I would not consider storing my Sun Cat in the garage and using it from there. Too much time and trouble involved for me. Instead I store mine outside completely covered with a WHITE Polytarp when not in use to protect the boat and exterior Teak from both weather and UV damage down here in SW Florida. Only takes a few minutes to uncover and recover.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

P.S. Have since gone to a smaller WHITE Polytarp - easier to handle.

hoddinr

Hi Capt Nemo,

What size white polytarp is that covering the sun cat in the photo?

The SunCat I'm getting has always been stored inside, but that won't be possible, and I really like the tarp you have in the photo.

Thanks!

Ron

capt_nemo

hoddinr,

The tarp pictured is 20' X 16' and was found to be a bit TOO LARGE. I now use a 20' X 14' which fits just fine.

Really makes a big difference in preventing UV damage and excessive weathering.

capt_nemo

hoddinr

Thanks, Capt.

I'll be needing one of those in about a week. 

Ron