Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mainsheet arrangement for CP19?

Started by mikeg, July 21, 2006, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeg

Hey you guys,

As some of you know, I just bought an 1987 Compac 19 and we LOVE her. And there's been plenty of tweeking to be done to make her "ours"-- preaching to the choir, I know.

One of the last fast-track changes that I want to make sooner than later is a modification to the mainsheet cleating. The current setup on our 19 is probably what was installed at the factory---   a pivoting/springmounted swivel block with camcleat.  There's also a small eyelet, mounted just inboard of the swivel, mounted on the stern at gunwale level (I can't remember if the stern top edge is technically gunwale or not- doesn't really matter I guess).

Since the 19's boom-end sheeting block has two sheeves, and the mainsheet therefore follows an 'up and down and up and down again' arrangement, the swivel block with camcleat seems/is??? incomplete. In other words, I feel like the setup SHOULD actually be swivel block with becket and camcleat? Doesn't this make more sense?   In other words, right now there's no real place to tie off the starting end of the mainsheet. If the block had a becket, I'd start the mainsheet there- but there is no becket. Am I suppose to be anchoring the mainsheet to a d-schackle or something that's attached to that inboard eyelet and then running the first pass of the mainsheet to the boom from there? I'm sort of confused.

My arrangement for her maiden voyage on July 4, before I realized I totally disagree with this setup, was to haphazardly tie the mainsheet starter around the swivel and carry on from there. Very combersome though, as you can imagine.

Thoughts on this? Also, could someone please post a picture of their preferred aftermarket (or better stock) setup when time permits?

Thanks very much,
Mike G.
s/v Freebird

mgoller

Hey,
You got it right.  My main sheet ties off to the swivel cam cleat.  There is a bolt that slides through crossways just above the cam cleat and the main sheet ties off there.  It isn't elegant but it works.
Someday I'll get pictures of all this stuff.

mikeg

Awesome Marcus. A picture would be great.

Speaking of which, I have digital pics now of the before and after of painting new colors onto our Compac 19 and I'll try to post them on this CP19's forum--- but since I'm not a whiz at posting links-- the pics might have to be uploaded instead to the Compac photos section of the website.  I'll posted something on the CP19 section to let everyone know where they end up going.
Mike

Craig Weis

Hey, I never really cared for the main sheet arrangement. So at the All Sail Show in Navy Pier, Chicago I purchased from Galhower [sp] a block for the boom that alines all two lines, one under the other, you know. One big pulley with the second line under, but inline, with the first big pulley line but on a smaller pulley. Instead of two lines side by side, like a standard block. This keeps the lines tangle [twist] free. May be able to see this in the picture gallery.

Wow there must be an easier way to say this!skip.