a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Catboat Book

Started by hoddinr, January 05, 2015, 06:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

This is probably all old news to many of you SunCat owners, but I ordered a book on Amazon.com called "Catboats", by Stan Grayson.

Mostly historical, about 200 pages, with an interesting appendix  about how to make "the old girl go."  Mainly a discussion of adjusting weather helm by placing yourself and crew to leeward, or windward, and also best way to adjust the throat halyard, and peak halyard for best performance to windward in light and heavy air.  Good stuff!

Mine is a Second Edition paperback, and cost about 15 dollars. Published by Devereaux Books of Marblehead MA, ISBN 0-9640070-1-0

Ron

ontarioSuncat

not sure what options you have but the Ida "foil" rudder is a must to get the boat to perform. Also you may find a throat downhaul line handy to lower the sail. I added a turning block to the base of the mast with the rest of them and run a thin cord from the throat car through the block and through the deck organizer on the starboard side (just used the housing of the organizer and not around a sheave) and ended with a small pad eye mounted right between the spinlocks and the hatch in the narrow space. Added a ball stopper to the end. On mine I just release the throat halyard and control the gaff halyard as I pull the downhaul line. You may also find that a toping lift / lazy jack system (all in one) will control the boom and the sail. Lots of info and pictures on the forum
John