a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Aluminum Bimini Frame

Started by HeaveToo, December 09, 2014, 11:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaveToo

My Bimini has an aluminum frame.  I want to get a flexible solar panel, around 50 or 60 watt.  I would like to install that solar panel on my Bimini.

The specs state that the weight is around 3 pounds or so. 

Is that too much extra weight or will the bimini be fine with the flexible solar panel?  I would to add more solar as insurance that I am getting a good charge and good upkeep, but I think that 50-60 watts should be sufficient for my needs.

Anyone have any experience with flexible solar panels?  Know any good brands that aren't super expensive?
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

BruceW

Well, I have a 12 Watt flexible one I got from Defender. I don't remember the brand. It keeps my battery charged just fine. I don't have any other experience than this, but I'm glad I have it. Wish I had a bimini to put it on, but instead I put it on top of the gas tank cover.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

NateD

An extra 3 pounds won't be a problem for the frame. Thank about how hard you pull the straps when you attach them to the deck (or stanchion) fittings. It takes a lot of force to get the fabric taught, and a good percentage of that gets transferred in compression through the frame, it will handle another 3 pounds just fine.

How are you going to mount it? Will it span across the bows of your bimini, or will you need to mount it onto something, then onto the bimini? Or are you just attaching it to the fabric? If it is just to the fabric, then you might get some sagging in that spot.

HeaveToo

I was thinking about attaching it to the fabric.  Eventually a velcro fitting.

The way the bimini has been held down, recently, is by bungee cords.  I may go back to straps to tighten up the mount a little.

I am starting to lean towards a 100 watt panel.  It will have some shading from the boom at times but it is still a pretty large panel and that shouldn't bother the shading.

The 100 watt panel should still be less than 8 pounds.

What do you think the width is for a standard Compac 23 bimini?
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Salty19

Quote from: HeaveToo on December 09, 2014, 03:27:00 PM
It will have some shading from the boom at times but it is still a pretty large panel and that shouldn't bother the shading.

Unfortunately that's not the case with many solar panels. Unless the panel specifically has bypass diodes contained in the circuit at each cell running through the panel, a tiny bit of shade on one cell will severely lower the output of the whole panel.  So, if you're mounting a panel where it could have shade (on a bimini it always would with the boom over it), make sure the panel has bypass diodes for each cell (they would be factory installed). Many el-cheapo panels won't have them..a poor choice for you mounting location.

P.S. Don't forget the charge controller :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

HeaveToo

mppt controller!

Panel weight 4 pounds for 100 watts.  This is a good thing
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Lafayette Bruce

More is not always better....The more current output of the panel, the more you need a controller (hence the more complexity and stuff to have on board).  If you current demand is such that you need a "big dude" then so be it but if you sail only once a week or less you may want to consider a smaller one. 
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

HeaveToo

I need a charging method.  I tend to do longer cruises and I am out at least overnight.

I already know that I need a charge controller. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt