a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Battery business....

Started by brackish, January 09, 2015, 12:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Well it's winter so contemplation of maintenance and modification projects is ongoing.  My 23 came to me with two batteries a group 27 true deep cycle and a group 24 hybrid marine start battery, both flooded lead acid.  At the time I also had a motor that had electric start and the start battery made sense.  Both batteries failed after about six years of use which is OK and I replaced them both when that happened.  Then I got rid of the electric start motor.  Late last summer I noticed that the plastic strap brackets that were screwed into the battery platform had disintegrated so the hold down strap was no longer doing anything.

So it is time to deal with it.  Think I want to change the orientation from fore and aft to port and starboard based on this article: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/flooded_battery_orientation

Additionally I'm thinking about building a true short wall box around the platform with a divider between the batteries.  I'm also thinking about ditching the second battery and only keeping the inboard one that would cut weight a little more.  Maybe replacing the second battery with an emergency jump start unit that can run my lights and instruments in the event I run the house battery down too far.  Truthfully, on my 3-4 day cruises, I have never run the house battery down (with a little motor running for top off) except for one time and that was from my lack of maintenance, I let the electrolyte get low.  I do have an onboard charger and when the boat isn't sailing it is plugged in.

Anyone dealt with this?  What worked for you?  How many batteries do you carry in your bank?

MKBLK

Brackish -

I built an "egg-crate" retainer just forward of the compression post on my 16. Works very well for securing the deep cycle group 24 battery and separate compartments for the 5 in 1 (jump starter, 12 volt power, air pump, 120v and light) from Harbor Freight. (Full disclosure - not entirely happy with the 5 in 1 - looks great, works great, when it works!).

For the egg-crate which is the full width of the hull, I used some "recycled" white vinyl "lumber" (3/4" x 4" - I think). The "lumber" is even wood grained on one side, smooth on the other. Easy to work with (can use hand tools) and won't ever rust or rot. I used stainless screws to hold it together. I sized the compartments (3) for my battery, etc.

Marty K.
Pegasus CP16
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Elk River

Brackish:

A very good forwarded article.  My 19/2 has the one battery in the starboard lazarette running in the port/starboard configuration.  After reading the article, I am glad I don't have to make any changes.

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk