a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spin Lock cleats

Started by Tom L., November 23, 2014, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

I have a 2001 boat with four spin lock cleats. All four are similar except the two on the starboard side do not seem to have access to the forward mounting screw. Has anybody tied to remove and re-bed the cleats? I must be missing something.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

capt_nemo

Tom L.,

I relocated mine quite some time ago and can't remember having difficulty locating the forward mounting screw. Look carefully at the top and see if the innards are capable of somehow being CAREFULLY removed or moved out of the way, revealing the top of the forward screw.

As an Engineer I just know there must be a way. Wish I were there to study that bugger up close and personal.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

capt_nemo

Tom L.

There is a grey colored shroud/housing around the forward part of the assembly but I can't figure out how to remove it to gain access to the screw.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

capt_nemo

Tom L.,

Recommend you Google "Spinlock Cam Cleat" and find their web site. Might find a diagram showing how it comes apart or at least a phone number to talk to a tech rep about how to access the forward screw.

capt_nemo

Tom L.

I did contact Spinlock and they asked for pictures which I sent. Good news they told me how to remove the cleat. I haven't done the work yet because we are busy doing some mini cruises but next week I should get to the job.

Thanks Cat Nemo for the advise.

Tom L.

capt_nemo

Tom L,

Great news. Glad you were able to solve the problem.

capt_nemo