a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

HEADSAIL SHEET TANGLE PREVENTER

Started by Bob23, December 01, 2014, 05:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

I seem to have a knack to get my headsail sheet caught on whatever I can. Admittedly, I do have a few snags forward of the mast just waiting to grab the wayward sheet. A few years ago, I had the revelation of a simple solution: A small "cage" made of thin line that covers the foredeck and adjacent area. Rather then bore you to death, here are  few pics:

[imghttp://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt260/Bob23_photo/Koinonia%202014/20141130_121943_zpsrba931rs.jpg]http://cc[/img]

In the last shot, you can see the tamed sheet resting on the line. On the mast, it's tied to a shackle that clips over the whisker pole ring.
Bob23

rbh1515

Cool idea...I could have used that I my previous 28' sloop.  The sheet would occasionally snag on the forward hatch.  Won't need it on my newly ordered Cat!!  No forward hatch and no head sail.
Just make sure it doesn't become a "crew trip and fall into the water line".
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Bob23

I did think of that, Rob, after I almost tripped on it! But I try not to hurry when going forward and I'm usually the only one aboard. I was thinking a nice upgrade would be red line. Maybe a bit thicker for visibility.
Bob23

capt_nemo

Bob23,

I've used either a light line, bungee cord, or ½" PVC Pipe from mast to stem head on several boats to achieve the same simple solution. Works great.

Why are there lines going port and starboard just above the hatch??

capt_nemo

Bob23

When I carry extra fuel in a 5 gallon jug, it's lashed on the foredeck between those 2 stanchions. On one occasion, a drooping sheet got caught on the handle. Those 2 lateral lines eliminate that from happening. It is true that those are the main tripping hazards and I realize this is not an ideal solution, but it works great, is temporary and cheap. I rarely let clumsy people on board and even if I have guests, I'm the only one going forward.
Bob23