a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Last sail of the 2014 season

Started by TedStrat, November 06, 2014, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedStrat

Well it's been a great 1st season for us on newly christened Helios. We took off Tuesday to sail before the long cold winter. Sun was out, 8-10 knt winds and only 2 other boats in Huntington Bay. How can you beat that in November on Long Island for a last sail of the season! Now she's back on the hard and getting ready to be tucked away for the winter. It's all over but for the planning, dreaming and surfing of the forum. Here are a few pics from the last day of a great season with this amazing boat.

-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

alsantini

Great pics and I agree an amazing boat.  Question for you.  I notice that your tiller is higher than the seat bottoms.  Mine is lower that the seats and sits inside the seats.  I can lift it up without problems but would like it to sit higher.  Does yours just sit higher or is there some adjustment that is missing on Off The Wind?  I have been investigating putting a bolt into the aluminum rudder head to allow adjustment.  Thanks.  Again, great pics of a beautiful boat.  This baby is brand new, isn't it?     Al

kickingbug1

it appears that i had my last sail of the season last week when my good buddy rich (sailin 69) and i took my catalina 18 out for a spin. wind, we had plenty. we ended up with just a reefed main and were still doing 5 knots. ear to ear smiles----although i think it might have been even "more " fun if we sailed rich's cp 16. thanks for the crew work buddy.    by the way al, are you coming for next years CLR?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

TedStrat

Thanks Al. Yes new...I bought the prototype with the diesel they made last year so "new" but Gerry sailed it for a summer to test things out. Sails amazingly - I love it and can't wait for next spring.
Anyway, my tiller lifts up over the seats which is great when I want to turn hard or compensate for a bad tack or get over someone's knees etc-  the tiller goes hard outbound to the boom arch if lifted a bit. I can snap a pic for you if need be..
-Ted

Eagleye

Ted,
Great shots and I glad you are enjoying you Eclipse!  We took the Madame out this year way less than is acceptable and I sadly am in the process of tucking her in for the winter, here in upstate NY.  Being we are so close to each other it would be awesome to get together and sail sometime next season and compare the different versions. 
Regards,
-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

TedStrat

You're right Allen. I know we talked about that and should - even if we don't have Madame Z and Helios meet up you can come down for a sail or two and visa versa. It's been a great first summer/fall for us and I think we can all say we didn't use as much as we would have liked. I think that's what will get us through the winter - planning for next year's sailing season. I am actually thinking of planning a chesapeak week next fall - late September. Did you trailer anywhere this season.
Question - do you take your sails off. I am storing indoors and will be winterizing engine, etc this weekend and am unsure about the sails. 
-Ted

Eagleye

Ted,
   Yes,we will have to try and work something out next season.  Unfortunately we only sailed locally this year, Saratoga Lake and the Hudson River near Catskill, but retirement is getting close so we will have more time for trips.

When I store the Madame for the winter I take inside the sails, cushions, bimini and any other fabric that varmints or insects might want to chew on or take residence in.  Last weekend as I unraveled the main sail about a hundred ladybugs fell out onto the deck.  Fortunately they did not leave any stains on the sail but before I could get down to sweep them off several got crunched under my clumsy feet and I ended up scrubbing all those orange spots off of the deck.  :)

We enjoyed your pics and look forward to meeting you.

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

TedStrat

Thanks Allen. I know- the sailing season seems to fly by. What a story about the ladybugs  Good advice, I will do the same and take all fabric and sails off.
-Ted

alsantini

I have not stored the Eclipse as of yet since I trailered her down the Florida for the winter.  My previous boat was a Precision 21 and I stored it for 13 winters.  I removed the cushions, sails, motor, life vests and all electronics prior to storage.  I pulled all lines off too so that I could wash them each year. And lastly, just prior to storage I made sure that I had no water left in the boat.   It worked and if the Eclipse was going into storage I would do the same.