a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bridge open please

Started by alsantini, April 04, 2015, 10:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

This is a bit long and maybe only appreciated by grandparents, but our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandkids came down to Florida for Spring break.  One 8 year old and one 12.  We decide to take everyone out sailing on the Eclipse on Wed.  I put in at the Venice Train Depot launch ramp and we motored under the Hatchet Creek bridge.  Both kids said Grandpa, you are not going to make it under the bridge.  Eclipse with about 28 ft and 32 ft the center of the bridge.  No sweat.  We sailed for a couple of hours and decided to motor over to the Casey Key Fish House for a late lunch.  To get there we had to go through the Albey Road bridge with 8.5 feet clearance.  Tyler "I don't think we can make it Grandpa"  You don't think so?  NO.  I said, I guess they will raise the bridge if I ask nicely.  "Would they raise the bridge just for us?"  Maybe - let's try.  I called in on 9 and requested a bridge opening.  When the bridge went up and we motored through, the kids were waving to the cars and the bridge tender with great big smiles.  They could not believe the bridge would go up for us, and today when they left for home (Illinois), I asked Tyler what the best part of the vacation was and you guessed it - the bridge going up.

I will start packing up and we head home on Tuesday towing Off The Wind.  It has been fantastic having the boat here and God willing I will do it again next year.  Happy Easter everyone.      Al

Vectordirector

Al,

Great story about the bridges.  Have a safe trip north.  Sorry we didn't have a chance to sail together.  I'm flying up on May 14th and getting the house prepared for sale.  Then on to NY for graduation on Memorial Day weekend.  No plan after that so I may be in Chicago for a week or so in early June.  Maybe we can get together.  I'll let you know my schedule when I've got it narrowed down.  Take your time and enjoy the trip. How many times did you get to sail down here?  I'm averaging about 2-3 times a week.  Loving it.  We had the Corsair out on Tuesday or Wednesday, can't remember, the days run together, but the winds were steady at about 15 knots and we were doing well over 10 knots.  Exhilarating.  Water was flat and I was driving.  Just main and jib, I'm sure it would have been a bit more "exhilarating" if we'd put up the screacher.  But Arthur is conservative at his age, and so am I.   The boat handles like a big Hobie Cat, and it can be powered down much more than I realized.  Great ride. 

Again, safe travels, fair winds, talk to you soon.

Vectordirector 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Good deal Bryan.  Give me  a shout when you are North and remember that I am always up for picking you up at Rockford, should you need it.  I was out at least 2 times a week mostly on Off The Wind and a few times on Danke, the Precision 23 that my buddy sails.  All in all a great sailing winter and the boat was fantastic.  She is all ready for the trip home.  We expect to leave Tuesday AM assuming we get it all together.  See you soon.  Al

TedStrat

Best story I've heard in a while Al. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Brent65

Al, 

What a great story.  I loved hearing about your grandson being impressed with the lifting of the bridge.  I'll bet he never forgets that experience.  This is what sailing is all about to me...simple memories of being on the water with family and friends.  Thanks for sharing.

Brent