a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller and rudder lock down system and bushing help

Started by Vectordirector, October 31, 2014, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

I've been using small shock cords between the eyelet on the tiller and the rudder control bar.  Works ok, but they don't last very long in the sun and if the boat is boogieing, the rudder tends to kick up, at the worst possible moment.  This is how the prior owner had it set up.  Anybody got pics of their rudder kick up control setup?  I'm thinking there has to be something better.  I need specifics as to measurements, etc. 

Also, there seems to be quite a bit of play in the bushings, I tried to tighten the nuts and it kinda worked for a few sails, I think they need to be replaced.  I would like to fix this as well, but don't have the required tools to do so.  I did see the post a while back with instructions on how to do it, I think Don posted it.  Can someone local help me do this if I get the parts?  Can it be done in the water or do I need to pull the boat out? 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

TedStrat

I actually have a simple small piece of black line on the tiller eyelet and it ties like a shoelace around the control arm. Never popped out yet. I will snap a pic next time I'm out this weekend
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

TedStrat

-Ted

Vectordirector

Thanks for the pic.  Interesting.  Does any one know what the factory setup is?  Or do they leave that to each individual owner? 

vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

TedStrat

This was factory....came that way for me this spring.
-Ted

Vectordirector

Great.  Thanks for the information.  I think I'll give that a try.  Shock cords are ok but don't last.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold