a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How much to bottom paint Compac 19?

Started by Scott Abbott, October 22, 2014, 07:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Abbott

Hey everyone.  I am a proud owner of a Compac 19.  For the first season I had her, I trailered everywhere.  This season we decided to get a slip at Lake Texoma.  With two kids we LOVE being able to walk down and sail away however, it's definitely time for bottom paint with the amount of growth on the fiberglass bottom and the fear of all the bad things that can come with that.   

My question is WHERE and HOW MUCH have you guys paid for a bottom job starting from fiberglass?  I called a couple of marinas on the lake but the prices were a little more than I had hoped for. Anyone have any good recommendations and a ballpark figure that I should be shooting for?  Was thinking there have to be some places rather than an expensive marina to get this done and my fingers are crossed they are close to Dallas and Fort Worth. 

I am sure that I could try as well myself,  but my lack of experience in this arena makes me question it. 

Thanks so much in advance

crazycarl

it will vary on the location.

i had our 19 sanded to remove the old paint, then a barrier coat added and then new anti-fouling paint applied.

my best price at the marinas closest to me (chicago area) was $2800.

i chose to tow the boat 4 hours south to have our very own macgyver complete the job for $1300.

as you can see, it was well worth the time and miles.  plus, i was able to throw some work to a friend that i trust.

cc
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Scott Abbott

Thanks Crazy Carl...your experience is exactly what I expected or rather hoped for. 

Anyone recommend anyone within a days drive of Fort Worth that does good work? 

brackish

Quote from: Scott Abbott on October 22, 2014, 11:55:03 PM
Thanks Crazy Carl...your experience is exactly what I expected or rather hoped for. 

Anyone recommend anyone within a days drive of Fort Worth that does good work? 

Scott you might try your question on the TSBB (Trailer Sailor) main board.  There are quite a few Texas based trailer sailors over there.  Charlie Jones is a very good boat construction and maintenance source.

For reference my Marina charges $45/ foot plus the cost of paint (probably a gallon for a 19) for pressure wash, light sand and bottom paint.  That does not include full removal of old coatings or a barrier coat job.

MacGyver

The 19 needs about 1.5 gallons of 2000. I have done 2 on mine, and would have to check but think I did 2 on Carl's as well. The paint was Interlux Bottom kote on mine, to which a gallon had some extra. On Carl's I used Micron CSC, which left a small amount behind, but I also coated his bunk spots with extra coats.
My boat stays in the water, Carl's however is a trailer sailor, hence why I had him go with Micron, it is unaffected by the sun as far as its performance goes.

Next year if I lose my slip, we plan to dry sail it from the parking lot so it can be set up all the time ready to go. If this happens I will switch to Micron, which I will use a refresher coat of 2000, and then paint Micron on it.

I highly recommend you use a good paint for your waters, and I would recommend staying away from Pettit for now. Pettit is going through a rough patch in the industry, and their products are not performing well.

If you decide to do this job yourself, let me know and I will tell you the ins and outs of working with it all.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Scott Abbott

Mac,

I appreciate your first hand knowledge more than you know.  I would love to take you up on your offer as I have buried myself in reading how to do this myself over the last several days.   Is there a time I could catch you over the next couple weeks to give me your thoughts?  I need them before I ruin this beautiful boat!! 

Thanks so much...

Scott

MacGyver

Scott,

Click my name and send a email to me with your number and when a good time is to call you. Also let me know if the number is a cell and the carrier. Keep a pad and pen ready to write, sometimes I puke out a ton of information at once at folks, and they don't write things down. It is a lot, but I go through practically every step, lots of information.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

Mac,
When you have time, write down your tips and tricks, I'm soon to be doing the bottom of my 19 "Andiamo!"

Thanks in advance, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

MacGyver

Tim,

Will do, I might have to make it somewhat Generic, as mostly I enter salesman mode as I talk because that brings up specifics on products and their usages ( I know not only what we sell but our competitors to a great deal because I have to know what is better for the customer in the end.We actually sell many different brands, just prefer a certain brand for the performance overall) in certain waters and such, but this is on my list to do. would be good for all on here considering the job.

Might take me a little bit to get this going, but I will do it as soon as I can.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.