a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Couple of questions about new boat...

Started by rbh1515, November 09, 2014, 09:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

I'm getting everything ready for the new boat...won't get it till spring.
Do I need a winch handle, or does it come with one?  I have a couple of nice ones from my old boat, and I'll sell them if I don't need them.
For the shore power...do I just use a regular extension cord?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Craig

HC does come with a winch handle(non-locking) but yours might be nicer. A stock heavy-duty extension cord is all you need. Saves a lot of money! You will need an adapter to fit most marina outlets (+- $20.00). The fitting on the boat is a three pin male. I wish I had opted for a 12v outlet in the cockpit to plug in GPS, radio, etc. I will probably add one eventually.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

Thanks!  I already have the 3 prong adapter.  I would use it at the dock if I was doing some work and needed to plug in a drill or something.  On my boat order I added a second 12 volt outlet (was told that one outlet is standard).  Not sure where the standard one is, or where I should put the second one.
Rob

Craig

Hi Rob, The standard outlet is on the electrical panel on the HC. I am going to install one in the cockpit near the helm so I can plug in the GPS/Iphone/Ipad. Maybe in the storage area under the helm. I would be a little more protected there although not quite as accessible.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

Guys,

Depending on distance (round trip) from battery, use recommended AWG wire size to avoid unacceptable voltage drop at 12V Outlet.

If you can't find tables easily, contact me.

(Writing with my BS in Electrical Engineering hat on.)

capt_nemo

rbh1515

I presume that is what the factory uses?
Rob

capt_nemo

Not necessarily! Especially for the optional second one located well outside.

There are 2 key questions. What will the expected maximum amp draw be on the Outlet? And, what voltage drop are you willing to accept? If you're ONLY drawing milliamps of current it probably won't matter.

However, for another 12V Outlet somewhere out in the cockpit quite a distance from the battery, drawing 5 or more amps, proper wire size to avoid an unacceptable voltage drop is strongly recommended.

For a 3 % acceptable voltage drop and 5 amp draw at round trip distances of 10', 15' and 20' the wire sizes are 18, 16 , and 14.

Change to a 10 amp draw at distances of 10', 15' and 20' and the wire sizes are 14, 12, and 10.

And so on ...

capt_nemo