a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

TILLER CLUTCH

Started by MKBLK, October 02, 2014, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

I have rigged my TillerClutch as recommended by the manufacturer. The clutch is mounted approximately 6" from the end of the tiller with the control line fed through a pair of V cleats and fairleads. You can see the layout at: http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/assets/docs/TillerClutch_OwnersGuide.pdf
I am very happy with the setup as it does not interfere with valuable space. All the hardware is available from WaveFront. Costs seem reasonable. The entire setup was less than $100.00 (plus I accidentally ordered an extra set of V cleats).

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Pamelina

Hi all, I am getting ready to mount a Tiller clutch on my CP16. I'm curious about how to lead the line. Wavefront instructions state that on small boats, the cleats may be placed on the transom alone if convenient. Has anyone done it this way, or are fairlleads to the coaming the better method?

Thanks

Pamelina
New Owner CP-16-Forever 16.
Previous boats CP-19, West Wight Potter 15, SouthCoast Sea Craft 22 (for sale)

MKBLK

Pamelina - If you opt to not use the fairleads, the line through the clutch will extend directly across the cockpit seats and may interfere with easy access to the rudder and/or your iron wind. As I expressed in my previous post, I am quite satisfied with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Pete H

Pamelina,

On my Legacy I followed the manufacturers diagrams more or less. I fitted a pair of camcleats (the ones available from Wavefront), one on each coaming about 16inches forward of the transom and used a single line. Using two camcleats means the line can be released from either side. It's simple, it works!
Cheers,
Pete H
Muggler (Compac Legacy)
Victoria
Australia
" Nothing satisfies the man who is not satisfied with a little".   Epicurus 341 BC-270BC