a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

reposition the main sheets

Started by blighhigh, September 27, 2014, 09:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blighhigh

have been thinking of relocating the main sheets on my Horizon Cat. Currently they are attached to the cockpit coaming port and starboard. I would like to move the sheets to the forward side of the boom gallows with additional support of two stainless steel rods attached to the boom gallows. The bottom of the rods would be fixed to the stern deck behind the coaming. I believe this will allow me to settle farther aft in the cockpit without getting my head tangled in the sheets. Just wondering if anyone has done this.

Craig

My only potential concern would be an increased chance of fouling the sheets on the boom gallows, especially in the case of an uncontrolled jibe which could be ugly. A secondary(but lesser) concern would be the ability of the boom gallows to handle the stress due to possible increased leverage(assuming the blocks would be mounted significantly above the deck). Sheets have not been much of a problem for me since I usually sit on the windward side and/or forward of the wheel. Do you have your sheet blocks held vertical with springs? That helps somewhat.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

blighhigh

Thanks for the opinion.  I have never tried using springs on the main sheet blocks.  Will you describe how you have them set up?  My plan for moving the main sheets would be to the top of the boom gallows with the additional stress counteracted by the stainless steel backup rods from the gallows to the stern deck.  I would think that an accidental gybe would have the same chance of snagging the boom gallows in the standard position as well as in an elevated location.

Craig

The springs are available at West Marine(or any good marine store) in the block section. They fit between the deck and the block and keep it upright. If you place the blocks at the top of the gallows will you be able to release them quickly? Check out the geometry of the locking cams and the sheets.

Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

blighhigh,

Although I sail a Sun Cat, the sheets are in the same relative position on the coaming as the Horizon Cat.

One of the very first mods I made to the boat was to add stainless stand-up springs to the coaming-mounted main sheet blocks. This prevented damage to the gel coat with loose sheets and provided better access and control of the sheet in the cam.

Unless you are habitually seated to leeward, I can't understand why the sheets are getting in your way. I'm often seated to leeward in light air to better view my jib trim (yes, I said jib), shift my weight to induce a little heel, and take advantage of the increased air flow  in the "slot" for comfort. Leaning back into the sheets doesn't pose a problem especially if the windward sheet is close at hand.

Finally, countering the expected forces at the top of the Gallows with a LONG EXPOSED STAINLESS THREADED ROD that reaches the deck, really impacts the aesthetics of our cat boats. As an Engineer, I'm not necessarily decrying FORM over FUNCTION but do consider how it will both LOOK and WORK in actual practice.

All that said, there are alternatives you may possibly want to consider if relocating the sheets is of significant importance to you. First, go back to the original Com-Pac concept of mid-boom sheeting with a traveler securely mounted across the top (aft edge) of the Bridge deck. OR, same mid-boom type sheeting with bridge-type traveler mounted on the cabin top.

capt_nemo

blighhigh

Once again thanks for your insights.  I think that I will try the spring setup first.

raghaulerII

Blighhigh,
I posted a picture of my boom gallows and it was brought to my attention that my mainsheets are not attached in the Horizon's normal configuration. I bought the boat set up like this, except for the addition of a couple blocks that attach the gallows to my life line stanchions. It sounds like my boat may be set up like you proposed in your post.  If you have already made the change please disregard. 

blighhigh

I haven't started my project yet as the boat is getting a bottom job at the boat yard.  However, I really do like what has been done on your project and plan to incorporate some of the elements in my design.  Thanks for the post and pictures.

CaptRon28

Out of curiosity, I checked more than a half dozen photos I have of the Horizon's mainsheet setup, including some on the ComPac website. All of these boats seem to have a different point on the boat where the blocks attach. Mine, a 2008 model, are on the gallows supports, but much lower - at about the height of the coaming. And the block on the boom is further back than most. This it the way my boat came. Some seem to be attached to the coaming itself, others are much higher up on the supports, with some having the block on the boom further forward. With all of these different "stock" setups, ComPac must have been playing with this design for years.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

blighhigh

my sheet  blocks are on the cockpit coaming.