a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail removal

Started by Schumway, September 13, 2014, 11:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schumway

Tomorrow I'm pulling my 2002 suncat for the season. As boat is new to me this year I have question on removing the sail. There is not a slot in the mast track so I assume I take hinge apart to remove the sail?  Also what is the purpose of the rods on either side of the mast below the hinge?  Reef hook would hang up on the right side rod so I reversed rod putting it out of reach of the reef hook.
Thanks!

Craig

You are correct. The only way to remove the Suncat sail is to disassemble the hinge. The rods are there to guide and contain the boom gooseneck, gaff gooseneck and sail into the trailing position. Very important that the sail and fittings(especially the extension on the gaff gooseneck) are below the hinge when you drop the mast. Many Suncat owners have bent the gaff gooseneck fitting by not doing so. I never had a problem with the reef hook hang up you describe on our Suncat. Probably would be a good idea to return the guide rod to its normal position just to be on the safe side although it probably is not a critical issue.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Schumway

Thank you Craig!  Sail and boat are clean and stored.

My next question. I had a bit of water all season in the bilge. At most a gallon a week. I suspect water had to enter through keel. With boat home I slid under trailer to eyeball centerboard box. Got a drop of water in the eye!  I may fill bilge with hose and check this again. Box is set in with screws so I suppose it can be removed?  Doesn't look to be a fun job.

Christopher

Schumway (Fred),
  I had a persistent leak as well and I now believe I solved the problem.  My 03 was leaking at the center drain.  My boat has a PVC tube (1" OD) that runs from the fuel tank/storage compartment through the bilge and then out through the transom.  The leak was between the transom and the tube inside the bilge where it goes through the transom.  It was very difficult to get access because you must get into the bilge area and then be able to reach to the center of the transom.  I cleaned the area well and then applied JB Weld leak sealer to the PVC and transom interface.  First I tried removing the outside drain flap and sealing it from the outside but it didn't last long before leaking again that is why I attacked it from the inside this time
  Filling the bilge with water is a good idea and that should be effective for finding the leak.  Good luck!
I was hoping to sail with you this year but........ there is always next year.  I will contact you when I'm heading up that way next spring. 

Later,

Chris