a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bottom painting

Started by rbh1515, August 29, 2014, 05:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Am planning on buying a Horizon  Day Cat.  I am sailing on Lake Micihigan and would plan on painting the bottom each year with VC17.  How do you guys paint the bottom with it on the trailer?  Do you stabilize one side of the boat and drop the rail so you can paint?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

capt_nemo

rbh1515,

Are you painting the bottom because the boat will spend considerable time left in the water? Is fouling a significant problem on Lake Michigan?

If the boat does spend time left in FRESH WATER you could simply wash (scrub) the bottom periodically while TEMPORARILY on the trailer. Applying a coat of wax on the hull before returning the boat to the water would also be a good idea.

Just some food for thought from a guy who has done a lot of bottom painting.

capt_nemo

brackish

I agree with Capt_Nemo.  If you are going to leave the boat on the trailer most of the time and just put it in for day sails and cruises of short duration, painting the bottom is not a road you want to start down.

However, if it is going to stay in the water and you need to paint it, you can stabilize the boat and drop one bunk at a time.  However, that didn't work for me, I ended up setting two scissor jacks under the keel between the keel rollers (after I'd already painted all but the keel contact areas with the rollers) jacked it up then painted under the bunks and the keel contact areas.

rbh1515

The boat will be in the water for about 6 mknths of the year.  We do get some green scum growth, and zebra mussels.  I have always used VC17, which is great in fresh water.  Brackish, why didn't dropping a  bunk work?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End