a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What have you done to your Eclipse?

Started by alsantini, May 11, 2015, 07:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

I'll have to think on the line handlers.  I really hate to poke holes in the boat.  Just the way I am.  I just tuck the main halyard under the cockpit cushion and the ridiculously long mainsheet in the cabin when sailing.  They stay out of the way fine.  On the lift I put them next to the cleats on the cabin roof.  Nicely coiled.  NOT! 

Deb is travelling most of June and there are still a few (electrical, mostly) repairs that we need to get a "guy" in to deal with.  I don't mess with house wiring.  Low voltage, stereo and computer wiring I can handle.  We are getting an appraisal as I really don't know where we are as there are no comps.  I know what I paid for it in 12/2005.  I know I lost at least 40% in the downturn.  I just don't know how far back it is up as nothing this big is selling up here.  So, with all that, we are looking at probably July 1 to put it on the market, if it makes sense to do so.  I'd rather not take a $100k hit on it.  They taught us that real estate would never go down in value.  Someone lied.

If you have time, slide down here for a day.  We can go out and dodge the thunderstorms.  I just got in to PGD.  We were diverted to RSW due to a thunderstorm over PGD.  Had to refuel and finally got in two hours late.  I was surprised as we didn't hold for long.  They are supposed to be able to hold for a minimum of 30 minutes with enough to get to their alternate and then hold there for 30 minutes.  That's the rule last time I looked at it.  I think they cheat and don't put enough fuel on board to lighten the load, knowing RSW is 10 minutes away.  Also took a while for Allegiant ops to get a gate and a fuel truck.  It looked like there wasn't anything going on and most of the ramp guys were probably gone for the night.  Fuel truck guy didn't see anything scheduled so he took a break.  Been there done that.  They intitially didn't let anyone off once we got a gate.  Then after about 30 minutes they let anyone off that understood that they couldn't get back on and if their bags were in the belly they could pick them up at PGD.  About 30 people left and about 30 minutes later we pushed off.  Total time on the ground was 1+30.  Could of been worse, they could have sent us to PIE or TPA.  Weather, been dealing with it for years.  Pilot made the right call.  I looked at the radar on my phone, nice level 5 passed right over the airport.  They can get a pretty good look at it in the cockpit if they know what they are doing, some don't know to tilt the radar antenna correctly.  They used to see stuff we didn't and wanted to turn.  Some airlines braver than others.  I won't be specific on this forum. 

Not planning on flying again any time soon.  Allegiant is great though.  Very friendly people.  Pilots are top notch.  Hope your weather improves.  Still working?  You need to give that up. 

Bryan

Vectordirector 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Glad you made it home in fine shape.  Travelling with weather is always a treat.  Hopefully next Sunday it will be OK.  No time during week to come south for the day.  In on Sunday afternoon and out on Sat morn with 5 days of training in between.
I understand the house dilemma.  We sold 2 years ago for about 60k less than value prior to 2008 but oh well.  Still way up since we bought home in 1971.  Good luck with sale and continued sailing......  Worst sailing season in Florida is upon you but you can still find holes to sail through weekly.  Enjoy and keep in touch.

waterwheels

If you don't want to drill holes for line handlers.....I used these:
http://www.amazon.ca/Command-Cord-Bundlers-clips-strips/dp/B001BTWK66/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1431917916&sr=8-10&keywords=3m+command

Working good so far, no holes just peel and stick.

Don "Living Water"

alsantini

Now that is cool.  and look Ma no holes..

Vectordirector

Wow.  Those are perfect.  Amazing what one can learn here.  thanks for the information.

Vecordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

After a few E Mails with Eddie, I purchased a new block with cam cleat and installed it yesterday.  It replaces the block at the traveler on the boom gallows.  It allows for either the original main sheet location forward to the mast, down and across the cabin room starboard side OR using the cam cleat the main sheet drops straight down from the boom gallows.  This keeps it out of the way of extra people on board.  I sailed with it and it was perfect, although at one point it dragged into the water off the open transom.  My plan is to use the original location when single handed and if I have 3 or 4 adults on board use the new location.  Very good modification.  My new fenders for the trailer arrived.  Nice light aluminum with brackets that clamp onto the trailer frame.  I am having a discussion with a machinist this weekend and will make the final decision to either install the new ones or try and repair the old ones.  Interesting that Larry's boat Figaro posted pics that show the same replacement aluminum fenders that I have purchased, so I am not the first to do this replacement.  Pics to follow.

Vectordirector

Al,

I forget if you have a bimini, if so, does the new mainsheet arrangement work with it up?  I can't see how it would work if there is one in the way.  I'm loving my bimini and can't see sailing down here without it.  I never used it on Lake Geneva, had to soak up the somewhat limited sunshine up there.  Had a good day out on the harbor solo yesterday.  6-8 kts of mostly NE wind and no chop, about 85 degrees, partly cloudy.  In other words, perfect.  It wasn't hot enough for the storms to develop.  My first time out in about 3 weeks, so it felt good.  Today looks stormy again.  Still, loving it down here. 

Keep us posted on the fender issue.  I'm sure you will get it worked out.  Have a good weekend, safe travels, fair winds.

Vectordirector 
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

The main sheet mod will not work if the bimini is up.  Have to revert to stock set-up.  The nice thing about this mod is it allows for either way by just threading the line forward or letting it drop down.  Takes about 2 minutes to switch out and you could do it out on the water.  Should have raced the MC today but had to go and see the Doc in the box.  Sinus infection and with me leaving for the sunshine State tomorrow AM figured I needed to be on meds.
Enjoy that sailing and I would imagine the bimini will or has come in handy.  I used it twice in Florida this winter and once on Pistakee last year.  Good to have, that's for sure.  Fair winds

waterwheels

This was the best thing I have done. Magma Kettle grill. Sailing gives one a good appetite.

Don
Living Water