a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

mast raising systems

Started by Tney88, October 02, 2014, 06:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

I'm looking at building a mast raising system for my 2004 CP-27.  I am having a hinged mast step built by a local stainless steel fab shop.  I've seen raising systems that utilize a single gin pole attached perpendicular to the base of the mast, and ones that use an A-frame attached to pivot points on the handrails or chainplates.  Both style of systems use a halyard from the masthead to the top of the gin pole or A-frame, and then some sort of mechanical advantage system to pull from this point towards the bowsprit or stem.  Any thoughts of the pros and cons of the gin pole versus the A-frame?

Regards,

Terry Ney
"Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Sedona Don

I built one for my C23 using a gin pole and side stays at the pivot point.   I am able to do this by myself but still looking for a way to cut down the time to raise and lower the mast.   I would be interested in other responses to your post.

Don
C23D - Luna
ComPac 23D - Luna

relamb

My Ballenger HMB M30 hinged mast base just shipped, so i'll get it installed and be experimenting with the same ideas next week.  I'll be looking for the easiest way to raise the mast myself, perhaps coupled with the least amount of extra stuff that I need to cart around with the boat and store someplace.  I'd sure like to figure out a way to use the whisker pole as the gin pole if I can figure out how to attach it to the mast base.
http://ballengerspars.com/photos/hmbm30.jpg
ideas appreciated!
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

rogerschwake

Think about running a line to one of your sheet winches for some mechanical advantage when raising your mast. Just my two cents worth.

BruceW

I've seen folks use a second boom vang or main sheet tackle for the advantage. I had a pretty nifty mast raiser for my P-21, where I used fence stretcher springs encased in PVC tubing, with a line up front around a turning block and back to a winch on the top of the cabin. I would crank that up till it bore the weight, and raise the mast with just a little effort. The springs took the weight and released as I brought the mast up; worked in reverse well for lowering, too.

I sold it along with the boat; I bet the guy who bought that boat never uses it.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Bob23

The best mast raising system I've used is a helper. We make the mast raising an event and at the closing closing ceremonies a celebratory beer is hoisted. More fun than gin poles!
But I do like the ability to raise single handed.
Bob23

brackish

Mine outlined here.  The benefits and advantages are listed on the first page:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3823.0