a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac and lightning protection

Started by HJ51, August 22, 2014, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HJ51

I've got a CP23.   Does anyone know if lightning protection was a consideration in the design or if the boat has any lightning protection features?   If not, how do we feel about the relative safety of a CP23 in lightning (I'm on freshwater).

NateD

What do you mean by "relative safety"?

All other things equal you're probably safer than a boat with a taller mast, but less safe than a smaller boat. Being inside the boat and away from the mast area or chain plates is safer than sitting in the cockpit or holding onto the mast.

Here's my take: Don't worry about it. Think about all the boats sitting in marinas around the US (for that matter, think about all the trees and buildings too), and only a very small fraction of them get hit each year. Of the boats that are hit, only a certain percentage sustain significant structural damage and/or have someone aboard who is hurt by it. A small percentage of the boats that are hit do result in fatalities. From what I've read there is no sure-fire way to protect the boat if it is hit. There are companies selling products and there are theories about how to do it, but you're looking at awfully expensive equipment/modifications for something that may or may not make any difference. To me the odds of even getting hit, much less seriously injured or killed are so low that I don't worry about it. You're better off spending the time and money protecting yourself and boat from the other 100+ higher probability events.

I'm not saying you should head out for a day sail in a lightning storm, but if I get caught out on a cruise or at an anchorage, I simply hunker down and read a book or play cards because not much else can be done.

Jon898