a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

No block no hardware two legged Lazy Jacks

Started by capt_nemo, September 04, 2014, 07:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

Since I've had several requests for a description of my very low cost yet effective Lazy Jack design, decided to post it here where I can reference it to others.

NO BLOCK NO HARDWARE TWO LEGGED LAZY JACKS

CONSTRUCTION:

Using 3/16 Dacron line, tie a small Bowline around the lower SS bail at the top of the mast to one side of the peak halyard block and lead it down to the deck. Cut it about 4 or 5 feet above the boom and tie a small Bowline loop in the end. Repeat the process with a line down to the other side. Now, take about a 20' length of 5/32" or 3/16" Bungee Cord and while standing on one side of the boom reach up and pass the Bungee Cord through the small Bowline loop in the end of the Dacron line attached to the top of the mast. Bring the Bungee cord down and pass it UNDER the boom grabbing it on the other side with your other hand. Next, take the end of the Bungee Cord and pass it through the small Bowline eye in the other Dacron line and bring it down to the boom. Then, like before, pass the line UNDER the boom and grab it with your other hand.  Hold the two ends of the Bungee Cord together. You now have a continuous Bungee Cord line but it's probably pretty loose. Pull the slack out of the Bungee Cord making the two loops around the boom fairly snug, cut off excess and use Stainless hog rings to join the ends together. You're done.  You can splurge by using stainless rings, or something else at the ends of the Dacron line where the Bungee Cord passes through. Try deploying the Lazy Jacks as described below, adjusting the tension (tightening) of the Bungee cord to achieve a very tight fit on the boom to effectively "capture" sail and gaff.

OPERATION:

On "stand by" the two loops of Bungee Cord under the boom rest about one foot abaft the gooseneck ready to grab for deployment, slight tension in the cord keeping them in place. This position keeps them out of the sail's way (no chafe) until needed. They are then deployed by hand for those FEW MINUTES when needed to control the large mainsail (and gaff) coming down onto the boom. From the open companionway you reach forward and grab the two loops of Bungee Cord and pull them back along the boom separating them so that one is left forward, a few feet abaft the mast, and the other one pulled aft forming two "legs" to capture sail and gaff when lowered. I bring the aft one back around the pad eye that was left on the boom from mid boom sheeting (previous years) which holds it securely in place. If you have mid-boom sheeting simply rig a quick way to attach the bungee loop to the pad eye holding the upper main sheet tackle. Or you might use the clew reef cleat to hold the bungee line aft if well positioned. They can then stay in position until I get ready to cover mainsail and lower mast at the ramp, at which time I capture them along with all the other lines at the mast with the long pin for travel.

Remember, don't strive for perfection - even the most complex, expensive, hardware intensive systems don't do a PERFECT job of controlling the entire mainsail (and gaff) when dousing.

If your SIMPLE SYSTEM does a reasonable job of capturing MOST of the mainsail and that pesky gaff, keeping all from spilling into the cockpit, or worse yet falling into the water, be satisfied. Then you can take your own sweet time to secure all with sail ties.

Hope this helps. There are several very satisfied customers on the CPYOA Forums.

capt. nemo

mandolinut

capt_nemo

Sorry, photos not available. Words will have to do.

capt_nemo

carry-on

Can't seem to get a second picture without dropping the post. Will send a second post.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

carry-on

The boat is a 16XL, 7/8 fractional rig.
Please excuse the Irish pennants. This was a test run. Will tidy the lines.
The upper lines are connected to the hound.
The system worked very well.

Since my rig has mid-boom sheeting, the aft bungee is connected there with a "S" clip. Thought I might need to go farther aft, but in three trials, this worked. When the jacks are not in use, move the bungees under the gooseneck.

Since I single hand, dousing the main is an issue when the wind is up. My boat does not stay into the wind very well as I move around to douse the main. Capt_Nemo's system really helps and the price is right.
Thanks to Capt_Nemo.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

capt_nemo

carry-on,

Thanks for providing the pics and kind words. Glad the inexpensive Lazy Jacks work well for you, even with both legs well forward.

For those with end-boom sheeting, and especially gaff headed mainsails, moving the legs aft a bit will do an even better job of capturing and controlling the mainsail.

Sail safely.

capt_nemo