News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Who trailers with the outboard on the stern?

Started by alsantini, August 22, 2014, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I never trailered with the outboard on the stern of my Precision 21 because the mount had so much play in it and would flop all around.  But the mount on the Eclipse is obviously more substantial and should not move at all.  Thoughts?  I may be taking the boat down to Florida in the late fall for the winter.  A friend of mine traveled with the outboard in a Styrofoam box in the cabin and that might be the best option.  Drain all fluids prior.  The outboard is a 4 hp 4 stroke Nissan, probably in the 50 lbs range.

deisher6

There was an old post on this blog, telling of watching his motor bouncing in his rearview mirror until it hit the car behind him on the third bounce.  It was enough for me to fashion a mount on the front of the trailer with a 2x10 and some square u-bolts.
regards charlie

Toolman

I trailer my Eclipse with a Honda 5 hp.  Always put the motor in the "down" position, and always engage it in the "R" or reverse position.  This locks the motor down and eliminates bouncing.  I've pulled from Central Illinois to Florida and Alabama several times with no problems.
Com-Pac Eclipse, "Knot Fast"

ChuckO

Long trips I always travel with the motor in the tow vehicle or in the cockpit on a layer or two of corrugated cardboard and wrapped in a "Movers Padded Blanket" and a tarp.  On short runs (less than 50 miles) I leave it on the motor mount and lash it security so it does not bounce.

My third sail boat ... no problems or gel coat spiders.

ChuckO'
CP-16 Carpe Diem
Charleston, SC

Eagleye

Hi Al,
This topic has been discussed a few times.  Check out these links and you will find a "boat load" of views and opinions.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=7063.0

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=7439.0

Good Luck,
-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

BruceW

I trailered my CP 19, Suncat, P-21, and Slipper 17 hundreds of miles a year, over a 20 year period, with the outboard on the stern. I started using a rachet line hooked around the motor and to a cleat on the boat though, starting with the P-21, which I towed from FL to NC.

Seems like the way to go.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

capt_nemo

A big DITTO on what BruceW says.

The MOST important thing is to eliminate the DYNAMIC loads on the transom caused by Motor Mount movement, however slight. These loads are caused by the motor rising and falling suddenly due to road conditions. The weight of the motor pushing up and down on the mount over time can cause transom damage, mount damage, or even loss of the motor.

A simple, yet very effective solution, is to employ a Nylon ratchet strap with one end attached to a stern cleat, then led under the motor up against the mount board, and over to the other stern cleat. Lift the motor (and mount) with your shoulder to take up any "play" or movement while tightening the ratchet strap. Be sure to tie off the free end of the strap well.

A number of us Trailer Sailors use this method or equivalent to support and carry our motors on the transom worry free.

capt_nemo

Craig

It goes without saying that the ob needs to be locked securely to the boat when left overnight!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

HOW TRUE!

After my improperly secured small outboard was stolen, I treated the replacement with a $99 stainless steel box lock which encloses the entire tightening mechanism.

No worries ever since.

capt_nemo